• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1877 trade dollar

11 posts in this topic

I think buying raw trade dollars is extremely risky. Case in point, I'm highly in doubt of that one's authenticity.

Yes, I agree. I would never buy an uncertified Trade Dollar these days.

There is something wierd going on with both of Ms. Liberty's arms that makes no sense on a genuine coin. Note the ridge on the top of the arm that extends to the poll and the ridge on the arm that points down to the bails.

Here is a genuine 1877-S Trade Dollar

1877STradeDolO-1.jpg1877STradeDolR-1.jpg

I think buying raw trade dollars is extremely risky. Case in point, I'm highly in doubt of that one's authenticity.

Yes, I agree. I would never buy an uncertified Trade Dollar these days.

There is something wierd going on with both of Ms. Liberty's arms that makes no sense on a genuine coin. Note the ridge on the top of the arm that extends to the poll and the ridge on the arm that points down to the bails.

Here is a genuine 1877-S Trade Dollar

1877STradeDolO-1.jpg1877STradeDolR-1.jpg

I think what you are seeing is an artifact of the lighting. The things raising red flags for me are: her feet, the water, the bales, and the stalks (especially around the ribbon). The lack of detail, especially on the stalks, is a classic counterfeit identifier.

The OP coin looks fake to me, but I am no expert. I base my opinion on the marks that are on both arms (but these may show due to the lighting used while taking the photo of the coin). I can honestly say that it has been cleaned at some point in its life due to the way the grime around the stars extend to the rim on almost every star. I'd be shocked if it were sent to be graded and came back as authentic and not in a "cleaned" details holder.

the lighting angle on the obverse makes it look funny

I think it is near AU-50

do the ring test - see if it sounds like struck silver

see if it sticks to a magnet

if it is a fake, it is a decent one

can you supply another obverse shot - with daylight or different lighting?