• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG NGC $2.50 1851

12 posts in this topic

I can see where the AU 58 grades are coming from, but what many are perceiving to be a disruption in luster is more of an issue with the luster. NGC graded this piece MS61. While I think the grade is appropriate, it is a lot nicer than many MS61s that I have seen which appear "baggier".

NGC graded this one MS-62, which I thought was accurate.

1853QuarterEagleO.jpg1853QuarterEagleR.jpg

This one, which I bought for my Civil War collection, is also graded MS-62, which I thought was on the high side. However the auction price made up for that so I bought it.

1861250O.jpg1861250R.jpg

The 1853 is sort of a family heirloom. My wife’s aunt sold it us as the last piece of “daddy’s gold.” The story was back in the 1800s he had been compensated for serving on some sort of jury with a few quarter eagles. They had stayed in the family.

After giving one to a daughter who promptly lost it, my wife’s aunt decided to sell it to us and enjoy the money since none of her kids cared about it. I bought it raw and than had it certified a few years later.