• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TGS and resistance to upgrade rarities

21 posts in this topic

Here's a very rare coin, that I am sure is undergraded. It is currently PCGS MS-xx DMPL.

What do you think it should be graded?

115196.jpg.7a5aa870a1578f3ad92ece2d74156e63.jpg

115197.jpg.158ac0c3fdfde4a4bd2279acf63fb669.jpg

115199.jpg.ffff0386ce26b4d181585b1f8e1228e5.jpg

115200.jpg.0f9a38151d41776417afe65e28e7ff43.jpg

PCGS price guide in DMPL is $10,000 in MS-62, $19,500 in MS-63, $45,000 in MS-64
So what? They have upgraded numerous coins for which the increased "value" far exceeded that. Case in point - some of the coins from the King of Siam 1804/1834 proof set.

I would guess MS62 DMPL, but wouldn't be overly surprised to see this in a 63 holder.

EDITED TO ADD: I didn't see that the grade had already been posted. I feel that the piece is properly graded, and I don't see an issue with the grade at all.

I'm not against the 62 grade. Judging from those pictures, I wouldn't be surprised if it came back 63 with enough resubmissions, but isn't that what gradeflation is? A properly graded 62 with a chance at 63 is submitted until it comes back as a weak 63.

Send it to CAC and get a bean, and leave it at that.

...and by "TGS" is meant: "third party grading service?"

A grading service does not establish "rarity;" that is a product of availability and demand.

Sorry to be a stick-in-the-mud, but this all sounds like another potential coin collector getting snared by the "Great Kahn" of independent coin grading and pseudo-rarity.

[i'd best skip this thread.]

...and by "TGS" is meant: "third party grading service?"

A grading service does not establish "rarity;" that is a product of availability and demand.

Sorry to be a stick-in-the-mud, but this all sounds like another potential coin collector getting snared by the "Great Kahn" of independent coin grading and pseudo-rarity.

[i'd best skip this thread.]

Actually, in a number of instances, grading companies do establish "rarity" of certain coins at particular "certified" grade levels. For example, if there is even an unofficial quota for awarding the grade PF70 to various modern issues. Or even particularly high grades (such as MS68) to assorted classic issues.