• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940's Mint Sets in Packages- should I put them in holders newbie asks.

76 posts in this topic

Hello- I am new on this board and collected coins when I was much younger but this is all a very new world and I need help! I inherited a family collection recently and because of my age and health I am going to liquidate it. Unfortunately there is no one left for me to leave it to. This seems like a reasonable place so I will try with one question tonight.

OK- here is the deal- There is I think a complete set of 1940's US sets, 30 packages. These are in manila paper envelopes 2 1/4" x 3 1/2"- some have typed lettering and others have rubber stamped lettering. For example they read "1948-P Mint Set." The coins are in old fashioned celophane bags stapled together with four or five coins in the set depending by mint marks. I don't know if there is a particular reason that that packaging itself may be of interest or if I should move the coins into plastic holders. I guess these are before official mint sets and I am not sure if my cousin created and packaged these or what. My inclination is to move them into plastic holders- it this best or should I leave them as is? They all seem extremely nice and I don't want to mishandle them as I am afraid many of the coins in the rest of the collection have been mishandled by what I am gleaning are today's standards. These packages do seem to have conserved the coins very well except a couple of the packages have some small cracks which seems to have created a couple of spots on a few of the coins.

I am looking at some Whitman plastic holders as they seem the best buy I can find. Is that OK? Or would that be some kind of mistake?

Also does anyone know anything in particular about this type of set? I expect many in these sets would grade very well from what I have been reading. I sure have a hard time finding much difference in the higher end grades when I look at the internet pictures.

I probably will have many more questions later if people here are so kind as to help me but my main question now is should I move these to holders. Thanks so much.

Yes, you sound like you have official US mint sets. These go back to the mid 40's, and are widely collected. I would leave them in the original packaging for now. There may be several coins that are nice enough to get graded, but you would send those to NGC. Putting them in holders yourself would serve no purpose.

Your best bet is to post some pictures so we can see what you really have, and then find a reputable and honest dealer to help you with the next steps. Depending on where you live, there are a number of people on these boards who can help you.

And, welcome to the boards.

Welcome to the forum.

I would leave them as is, for now, until you can (hopefully) post an image of some of the coins in the cellophane.

Anything of the type you described, dated prior to 1947 would be quite uncommon.

Are the coins separated in the cellophane, so as not to hit each other?

welcome to the boards

Is there anything on the manila envelope that would indicate they were

from the US Mint rather than a coin dealer or individual?

Capital Plastics has nice 15 coin cases that some people have used to present all coins from one year

I would recommend not opening them as well, fingers and coins generally are a bad combination.

Second, I would also recommend that if you can post pictures here the folks here are more than likely to tell you what you can expect for reasonable prices. I would strongly encourage you NOT to take them to a local shop and sell without a second opinion. If you are liquidating by all means get some offers, just don't be too quick and take less than you should get. I would almost guarantee if you post pictures on here you will get both great advise and good offers.

Rant over...just tired of seeing people getting taken advantage of. Even some come on here and bragg about taking advantage of others.

Good luck and I hope to see your pics!

Welcome to the boards!

Forty's Mint sets are quite uncommon.

DO NOTNOTNOT SEND THEM TO NGC!

They command a (very) strong premium in the original holders, but sending them off to certification services would destroy the mint set value, same thing with putting them in plastic holders. If they are in Proof Sets (packed in plastic with a mint medal), the same deal.

Once again, KEEP THEM IN THE HOLDERS!

That save's you money and prevents loss of value.

#1 tip- DO NOT CLEAN THE COINS!

Assume that a cleaned coin is worth 10% or less of the non-cleaned value.

Ok, good luck :)

Welcome to the boards!

Forty's Mint sets are quite uncommon.

DO NOTNOTNOT SEND THEM TO NGC!

They command a (very) strong premium in the original holders, but sending them off to certification services would destroy the mint set value, same thing with putting them in plastic holders. If they are in Proof Sets (packed in plastic with a mint medal), the same deal.

Once again, KEEP THEM IN THE HOLDERS!

That save's you money and prevents loss of value.

#1 tip- DO NOT CLEAN THE COINS!

Assume that a cleaned coin is worth 10% or less of the non-cleaned value.

Ok, good luck :)

Rarely does a mint set in its (regular) original holder command a strong premium due to the holder, as opposed to the coins, themselves.

And having mint set coins graded by a major grading company can end up being a bad deal, a fair deal, an OK deal, a good deal or a great deal, depending upon the coins and assigned grades.

Still, without knowing what the holders and coins look like, it is difficult to provide meaningful advice.

Exactly what my reply was about to be, Mark.

I was expecting a response like that (tsk)

But then again, you would of course take pride in your post count :/

Childish,

but see my disclaimer anyways :)

Childish,

If you were expecting a reply like that, than perhaps you already suspected or knew that your post contained inaccurate information. And that, it did.

Either way, instead of worrying about another person's post count, why not make an effort to provide accurate information and solid advice, instead?

Childish,

If you were expecting a reply like that, than perhaps you already suspected or knew that your post contained inaccurate information. And that, it did.

Either way, instead of worrying about another person's post count, why not make an effort to provide accurate information and solid advice, instead?

I said he worried about his post count.

And I do make an effort, but just in case, (insert disclaimer) :)

Hi- Say this set is 1940-1949 inclusive. They are not marked beyond what I described in the initial post. There is no indication that they came from the mint. They are grouped by mint mark. From looking at PCGS web site it seems that the US mint sets started in 1947 and the proof sets earlier in the 1930's.I guess they could be proof sets but they are labeled mint sets. I will try and get some pictures today.

Hi- Say this set is 1940-1949 inclusive. They are not marked beyond what I described in the initial post. There is no indication that they came from the mint. They are grouped by mint mark. From looking at PCGS web site it seems that the US mint sets started in 1947 and the proof sets earlier in the 1930's.I guess they could be proof sets but they are labeled mint sets. I will try and get some pictures today.

Yes, the typical mint sets and Proof sets of that era, could be ordered directly from the mint, beginning in 1947 and 1936, respectively. However, I have seen earlier put-together sets of business strike coins from the 1930's and 1940's - some of them were of excellent quality and others, not. I suspect that is part of what you have, there.

Hopefully, you can post some images which will allow us to provide you with some useful feedback.

Welcome to the boards!

Now, there are a lot of people on the boards that may try to talk you down (some of my rivals are jerseycat, physics fan, brg) but don't listen to them and move on.

I look forward to seeing your pictures :)

noow, I couldn't care less about my post count. It means nothing. The number of your posts has zero bearing on the substance of your posts (some members here have posts in the double digits, and I have far more respect for them and their knowledge than I do for you). I merely want accurate information to be shared with this new member.

I don't want to argue with you, and I don't really want to talk to you anymore. You are now being ignored.

noow, I couldn't care less about my post count. It means nothing. The number of your posts has zero bearing on the substance of your posts (some members here have posts in the double digits, and I have far more respect for them and their knowledge than I do for you). I merely want accurate information to be shared with this new member.

I don't want to argue with you, and I don't really want to talk to you anymore. You are now being ignored.

Jsilver, as you can see (again), there are some with high post counts that will try to post against people like me. This is just another example (I know that Mark Feld doesn't care about his count). Don't let them push you around. Instead, just follow your opinions.

Oh, and physicsfan, based on what you said before, I wouldn't count you as a reliable (or friendly source) of information. Plus, you could just not answer any of my posts and everything would be fine :)

Thanks for your reply. I definately will not take them to a local shop. I hear what you are saying and I have been active collector in another field for years so, as a friend says, I may have fallen off the turnip truck but I didn't fall off yesterday!

I will post some pics. If I did put them in holders I would use latex gloves and I think I could carefully slit to bottoms of the envelopes and slide the coins into the holes without having them rub against the plastic.

All of the fine grading really drives me nuts so far as I have been looking at it but honestly I think these are all like MS 67-70.

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Ah, the sweet sound of silence.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, jsilver, as soon as you post pictures I will give you whatever information I can.

As long as he doesn't cyber-spam me I'm A-OK with it :cloud9:

OK I will keep them packaged as is- I'm glad I ask because I was ready to put them in holders. At some point I will want to sell them so I will keep you in mind as a possible buyer.

OK- thanks- I'm not sending them anywhere for the time being and I will not try and clean any of them- there are only a few that would need any cleaning at all.

There is no US Mint emblem, etc. Just the plain envelopes I described. Thanks.

All of the fine grading really drives me nuts so far as I have been looking at it but honestly I think these are all like MS 67-70.

I'll tell you right now its HIGHLY unlikely they grade 67, not to mention any higher. I would expect 64 or 65, maybe 66 on some of them. Coins much higher than that are generally very scarce.

proof sets -> 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1950, 1951, +++

US Mint double mint sets 1947, ..... 1958 - these were in cardboard holders with a flip of light paper - usually green, sometimes brown

1 cardboard per mint - 2 coins of each denomination minted that year

some years did not have any San Francisco, others may be missing denominations

a typical holder from 1 mint ->

$(KGrHqIOKnME4+JEk(dHBOWuPEEMEw~~_3.JPG

what you describe, may have still came from the mint

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Ah, the sweet sound of silence.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, jsilver, as soon as you post pictures I will give you whatever information I can.

As long as he doesn't cyber-spam me I'm A-OK with it :cloud9:

:news:

Actually, physicsfan isn't ignoring me, he just used that for something to say in my post.

Just look at the thread "Do errors always increase the value of a coin" :/

Also another reason not to trust him.