• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RED ALERT THERE IS A LINK ON THESE FORUMS THAT WILL CRASH YOUR COMPUTER

21 posts in this topic

Sorry I can't be more specific, but on these forums a poster put a link that if you click it, it will hijack your computer. I am trying to re-construct where it is, but be careful. It has what looks like a "cut and paste" of all kinds of deals, with a hyperlink to click on. When you click the hyperlink, your computer will be hijacked and disabled. I am trying to reconstruct where it came from. BEWARE!\

Sorry I can't be more specific, but on these forums a poster put a link that if you click it, it will hijack your computer. I am trying to re-construct where it is, but be careful. It has what looks like a "cut and paste" of all kinds of deals, with a hyperlink to click on. When you click the hyperlink, your computer will be hijacked and disabled. I am trying to reconstruct where it came from. BEWARE!\

Why can't you be more specific?

Why can't you be more specific?

It sounds as if he doesn't recall which link it was and is trying to locate it.

I haven't been able to find it yet, I was surfing the boards, and 99% sure I was checking out ancient coin postings. The post showed a bunch of other interesting stuff -- jewelry, exotic autos, in a "cut and paste" type of posting. The hyperlink disabled my computer -- a classic where it displays what appears to be a bogus virus protector that completely disables your computer. The scam continues by trying to trick you into purchasing the bogus virus software and give away your credit card info. It's the latest in malicious websites attacking your computer.

I'll keep looking for the post.

shero?

I believe so!

Again, surf with JAVA turned OFF as much as you can.

Personally, when I surf I like to have the cup of coffee in hand.

Thanks for the heads-up Jim Bucks!

jom

• Administrator

I banned shero earlier today as a spammer, unrelated to this.

I visited the links he was putting up and didn't run into any problems, so I'm not sure that this is it.

Shero's MO was just links to a site he was promoting. This sounds like you're saying that the actual post included all of the adds and merchandise. I haven't seen that post myself, nor had any spyware problems.

Weird that you should get that virus surfing in a coin forum, I got that same attack you described on my other puter, but I wasn't surfing a coin forum. Nasty little bugger, but if you google the urls there are a few fixes out there (in safe mode)...the one I got back then went around Avast like melted butter butter through a screen door.