• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1967 Canada Centenial Coins

47 posts in this topic

The 1967 Canada circulating commemoratives are beautiful coins, especially the dollar and the half.

Specimen sets minus the gold coin turn up frequently on eBay for around bullion value.

These sets are invariably heavily toned.

The specimen set cases turn the silver coins dark blue/black. When it was illegal to own gold bullion in the US a lot of the sets had the $20 gold coins removed (and some dealers plugged the holes with extra 5 cent pieces).

does it have to be double struck to be a diving goose?

that error is quite dramatic, and looks like it needed help from someone

and there probably would be very few of them

Heritage has quite a few of those in their big world coin auction next month

I think I saw 1 lot that had 10 of them

I also saw in a search that had an older closed eBay auction (so no pics) listing a complete 6 denomination double struck set

wth, I do not see that many double struck coins, from any mint anywhere

but this issue in 1967, seemed to have them coming out in big bunches

From what I've read, they were intentional "errors" RCM employees made to sell to collectors.

From what I've read, they were intentional "errors" RCM employees made to sell to collectors.

Indeed, Canadian coin error expert John Regitko has written about these so-called "errors" several times in his column in Canadian Coin News.

The double struck coins are generally accepted to be deliberately created errors by ethically challenged RCM employees.

Which is not to say all double struck coins were made intentionally but the likelihood that they were is pretty high.

Any easy way to deifferentiate from PL and MS?

I have some nicely toned dollars and can't really tell the difference

If they are deeply toned (especially dark blue) and are mostly free of marks, they are most likely PLs or specimens. Beware of anyone asking moon money for high grade "MS" coins as they may very well be PLs or specimens. The PLs are far more common in MS65+ than circulation strikes. The silver medal PL set and specimen set cases tended to tone the coins various shades of pink/purple and/or blue. I've never seen that kind of toning on MS examples. I have seen orange and brown on 1965 MS coins, however.