• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

before or after it was slabbed?

16 posts in this topic

I have this morgan that is graded MS 64* and it has distracting black marks at 11, 3, and 5 o'clock. I cant imagine the spots being there when it was graded and recieving the star desgination but then again what do I know. Your thoughts would be appreciated. one side note, when you hold in certain angles the spots seem to dissapear.

IMG_7923-1.jpg

IMG_7920-1.jpg

OK, I looked at the NGC online Certification Verification pictures, and it appears the dark spots at 11, 3, and 5 o'clock positions have been there since Day 1 of encapsulation. I don't know what else to add...between those three dark spots and the big gash on the cheek, I'm not personally seeing the "exceptional eye appeal".

I'll wait for the experts to chime in ;)

114713.jpg.cdb5ad466673fe6556c7d4882cc1213d.jpg

hmmm interesting, I didnt even think of pulling up the verification pictures doh!

the coin is really beautiful in hand the luster is amazing and is PL and the mark on the cheek is not distracting in hand IMO, but those damn spots!!!

here is my picture of the reverse. The spot on the tail is not on the coin, not sure what that is.

IMG_7922-1.jpg

The eye appeal and detail of the reverse is really stunning...and I do see a bit of a "frosty devices" effect on the obverse. But I agree, those black spots are a bit distracting. Thanks for posting that reverse pic. The fields are so satiny, and the detail in the eagle's talons, tail feathers, and the arrow flights is amazing! (thumbs u

my two cents worth

sometimes the star is given if the reverse is satiny/frosty as this coins appears to be in the photo

and IN conjunction with the the obverse being prooflike or close which it appears to be in the photos

hence the star for pl obverse frosty/satiny non pl reverse

same for proof coins from the 19th century for example with silver proof coins they will give a star if the reverse is non cameo to slightly cameo but the obverse is a killer monster cameo/ultra cameo

I believe your coin got a star because the obverse is prooflike but the reverse isn't.

Those black marks definately are distracting, but as you can see with the certification picks, they were definately there when the coin was slabbed.

hmmm interesting, I didnt even think of pulling up the verification pictures doh!

...this is an option that IS NOT offered at PCGS. at least it wasn't the last i've heard. hm i wonder if they're considering the same great idea?

My guess is the star was given because the coin is close to PL or one side is PL and the other is not. Had the coin been full PL it wouldve recieved the PL designation and no star.

I'll guess the star denotes that it's a one-sided DMPL, and that the images do not give the coin it's due. Assuming this is true, then it's OK for MS-64, in my opinion, but far from great.

The fact that the cert # is high and the pics are shown in the cert verification tells us that this coin was graded fairly recently. The PL, (possibly DMPL), obverse is the only reason this Morgan would receive a star. Sometimes the graders are in a good mood.

Honestly, I'm not bothered by the marks that you speak of at all.

I just think it should have more color to be "star-rated".....maybe the pics don't show it up as well as they should.

The toned areas that you mentioned are negligible and do not detract, whatsoever, IMHO.

Thanks for all the replies, I agree the obverse has some deep mirrors, thus the star.

And thanks Walkerfan, I was hoping someone would'nt mind the spots, I personally go back and forth, It's like a beautiful girl with a big mole on her cheek, for the most part you dont notice it but when you do, you cant take your eyes off of it for a few seconds.

Tell me this, what will this coin look like in 20 years, will the spots get worse, and if so how much worse, I know only time will tell but whats your opinions?

Thanks, Nick

I don't think it will get worse AT ALL, if it is stored in the PROPER cool, dry environment.

The frost on the obverse is outstanding.

It looks like a Cindy Crawford coin to me!! :)