• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Think this trime can be saved?

8 posts in this topic

Nope. It can be conserved and helped, but it has corroded to the point where there will always be evidence. That being said, definitely have it conserved to stop the spread of damage.

Someplace I have an envelope full of those - all with nice little holes for stringing into a bracelet.

No, there's not a lot you can do about that one.

The trouble with the Type I trimes is that they were 75% silver and 25% copper, and if they came in contact with moisture, the copper was more likely to win out over the silver. That's why I think that attractive high grade circulated and Mint State examples of these coins are under rated.

I would not suggest you incur the conservation expense .

Sorry, but I don't think that the piece is worth the cost of a perfessional restoration such as that offered by NCS. After it's been done it will have pitting, which will leave it with the value of piece in VG or so IMO.