• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade and Overton - 1806

15 posts in this topic

OK, got a couple well lived Busties for the Dansco today, care to take a guess on the grade (not so important) and the Overton (much more important)?

Here is the first, an 1806:

114601.jpg.e75ce839ad86e4a80832bd48f1197297.jpg

114602.jpg.6f0efec2a6383d330890319a3b844afc.jpg

Chris, it's hard to compare grades on two different types, much less coins struck on a steam press vs. horsepower!

Chris, it's hard to compare grades on two different types, much less coins struck on a steam press vs. horsepower!

I agree, my guess on the grade is based off the lack of details and the amount of flat surface on the coin. Compairing this coin to the ones shown in the ANA grading standards books (3rd ed. and 6th ed.) the coin in question would be lucky to grade F-12

If you look at the picture shown for the VG-08 example on the link below, you will see that both the coin shown there and the one posted in this thread look very simular.

http://www.pcgs.com/Photograde/#/Draped50LE/Grades

-Chris

O-115, late date state.

The centers of the die were shot so the coin grades better than it looks. Market value would be in the VF-20 to 25 range. Some people might try to claim a higer grade if there is luster in the letters, but no one will pay for that because the die variety is a common one.

This is the variety that is in my NGC registry type set. My piece as stronger centers and grades AU-58.

My personal opinion is that it's in the F/VF range, but here's what the last professional group thought about it:

114735.jpg.87f39702546d7100bf039ca52ecc307a.jpg

I'll buy Draped Bust half dollars that look like that in VG-10 for VG money all day long. ;)

It just goes to show that those who ignore coins in SEGS and ICG holders can miss out on something good now and then.

Many 1806 and '07 Draped Bust half dollars are not noted for strong details. This one has a lot of die sinking in the certers to boot. Here is the same variety in an earlier die state. This one is an NGC AU-58. My grade is AU-55.

1806HalfDolO.jpg1806HalfDolR.jpg