• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does your collection have a theme?

15 posts in this topic

Do you have an overall theme or historical connection for all or part of your collection? For example, Civil War storecards and tokens and their relationship to coins and currency of the era, or coins connected to family events?

I collect a lot of stuff, but one of my favorite aspects of collecting has been putting together and continually adding to my Horse-themed World coin/token/medal set. It includes coins ranging from 250AD through present, all featuring in some prominent way the image of the horse. It's been a really fun set, and I look forward to adding many more coins.

Horse-themed collection

-Brandon

Do you have an overall theme or historical connection for all or part of your collection? For example, Civil War storecards and tokens and their relationship to coins and currency of the era, or coins connected to family events?

Theme? Ha! Are you kidding, my collection has an entire soundtrack! Slade made a #1 hit out of it around 1972, I believe.

Theme? Ha! Are you kidding, my collection has an entire soundtrack! Slade made a #1 hit out of it around 1972, I believe.

Who is Slade?? ;)

After not being able to justify the amount of my net worth at my age that was tied up in my collection, much of mine is gone. My theme for what's left? Coins that would be difficult to replace when/if I decide to.

Joy!! That is the feeling my collection gives me even though a lot of people would think most of it was made up of modern widgets. Oh and I try to add some educational stuff to my descriptions when I can.

I have a deep interest in history, and my collection reflects that. I'm trying to collect every major commemorative and business coinage design from 1792 to date. I'm within one coin of finishing, but that one, the 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle, is bear, even when you have the money.

Beyond that I collect 19th presidential campaign tokens, medals and medalets and Hard Times and Civil War tokens (there is some overlap with the presidential material) with political themes. I also have some 19th century mint medals with an emphasis on the Revolutionary War Comitia Americana series.

OK, but seriously, if I really had to identify a "theme", or some unifying factor in my collection, I would say that I have tried very hard to achieve the best "bang for the buck". I have very few super-graded coins, and certainly own zero pop-tops or registry-busters, or whatever those guys call overpriced (to me) coins, but genuinely feel that I've managed to work in some dang nice eye-appeal for the price I've usually paid (which still is often too much lol ).

And contrary to the advice often thrown about, I am willing to buy "off quality" IF the coin can be had for the right price. This includes dipped and cleaned coins on occasion, but since I store coins (mostly) in albums anyhow, some have actually started to retone and I might well end up with a lot of nice toners someday.

Some of my coins have been repaired, doctored, enhanced, helped or whatever you want to call it, and I'm OK with that, again given that there is some compelling reason to buy something. Often, it's because a variety would be too expensive for me in higher grade, or undamaged condition, but sometimes, I might buy an off quality coin because of it's particularly strong sharpness, or some other feature that appeals to me.

If I like the coin or medal, that's all that matters. So, my theme can best be described in one word................ menagerie!

Of course, it will probably drive my heirs nuts!

Chris

I try to get value as best I can by making an effort to buy at a grade level just before a big jump. At least that was the case when I was collecting 20th Century material (Buffs, SLQ, $10 Indian). Series from the 20th seem to be more inclined to have more of an exponential jump in price than 19th century stuff like the CBHs I'm now collecting.

However, I do end up paying more as I prefer nicely toned pieces. So I suppose that "value" goes out the window at that point....

jom

Overall theme? No.

OTOH, realistically there are two main areas of emphasis for me these days (this does NOT include the two date sets I'm trying to put together now, which are both 19th century). The first are Franklins... pure and simple the largest coins minted during the year I was born. They also share a link to the heart of the Cold War. Second, not NEARLY as much out there but that's part of what makes it fun, is trying to put together numismatic material having to do with Manned spaceflight from 1961 - 1975, again, a theme of the Cold War.

I focus on Walkers, naturally. Mostly the early dates, as I am fascinated with them.

I like well struck, mostly white BUT lusterous coins (I can't stand a dull coin) with no singularly distracting abrasions. Only MS 63 or higher.

I tend to like the San Francisco issues but there are some out of Denver that are very rare and challenging that I like very much also.

I had a close female relative tell me that she thought that they looked like 'angels' on they obverse.......in all my years as a Walker collector; I had never made that connection. She's right they DO remind me of angels.