• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 type 1 Buffalo Nickel ....This coin ....

19 posts in this topic

064.jpg

058-4.jpg

This coin has one heck of a strike. The weird part about this coin is I don't know how many type 1's I have, but it's my favorite year, this is the way James Earle Fraser designed the coin. Many were put away in collections as many folks just loved this "new" nickel, and still do. When I run across these type 1's, that are well struck, and the price is right, I buy em. Not hard to find these in uncirculated condition as many were minted and many were put away. But this one's not your run of the mill, or mint, Buffalo Nickel

This one's HAMMERED and very lustrous, not much color and take a look at how sharp the details and the rims are

This is another one of my1913 type 1's. It's very well struck and lustrous. The color, I think, says more about the market value along with the grade assigned . This 1913 type 1 many folks find attractive.

277.jpg

278.jpg

077-2.jpg

Just a bit, your right. In the area where E.Pluribus Unum is clashed and known as the whisker variety "when full" by some folks. I'm showing this raw coin because it's so well struck. It also has a very tiny rim dent seen on the reverse at 4:00. I'm not sure how much it will affect the grade. It may look big in the image but you don't really see it till you loupe it or image the coin.

According to mint engraver Charles Barber, Type-1 dies were changed more frequently than Type-2. This was due to die deterioration caused by the texture creating steel dust that chewed the die surface.

Gosh, what a beautifully struck buffalo!!! Great pickup, Joe. I would be proud of this coin regardless of its grade. Were it my coin, I wouldn't care if it were graded and slabbed or not. I might get it slabbed just to protect it. Again, what a strike. Congrats.

Jim

Gosh, what a beautifully struck buffalo!!! Great pickup, Joe. I would be proud of this coin regardless of its grade. Were it my coin, I wouldn't care if it were graded and slabbed or not. I might get it slabbed just to protect it. Again, what a strike. Congrats.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I love a well struck type 1 and this one has it. Compared to the 67 I'm showing here I feel the "strike" at least, is is stronger, it's really hammered. I'll be sending it in with MANY other pieces I have purchased recently and I waiting for three others to arrive I might purchase on approval, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the comment on this anazing strike, Jim, I think it's outstanding.....Joe

According to mint engraver Charles Barber, Type-1 dies were changed more frequently than Type-2. This was due to die deterioration caused by the texture creating steel dust that chewed the die surface.

How right you are!! This is why, on some type 1's you will not see any texturing at all as it was polished off because of the rust that would settle and just eat it away. I too have read this somewhere and is an interesting point.....Joe

I'll defer to the experts, but.... the detail of the first coin doesn't appeal to me, if full details is the goal! It may have technically been walloped by the dies, but it looks like a pretty late die-state to me, which means there wasn't as much detail there as the designer intended.

The second coin is definitely nicer in that regard.

I like both pieces, don't get me wrong.

I'll defer to the experts, but.... the detail of the first coin doesn't appeal to me, if full details is the goal! It may have technically been walloped by the dies, but it looks like a pretty late die-state to me, which means there wasn't as much detail there as the designer intended.

Just curious, what's leads you to believe it's a later die state? I can see a little die polishing lines under the chin of the Indian, and the cheek of the Indian is a tiny bit rough but that about it as far as I can see. The rims are very sharpe and wide and all of the details are quite crispy as far as I can see........Joe

Just curious, what's leads you to believe it's a later die state? I can see a little die polishing lines under the chin of the Indian, and the cheek of the Indian is a tiny bit rough but that about it as far as I can see. The rims are very sharpe and wide and all of the details are quite crispy as far as I can see........Joe

There is considerable die erosion visible in the hair and at other areas throughout the portrait. Those textured raised areas that look like tiny "bubbles" are an indication of where the die has worn, "stretching" and distorting the surfaces, so to speak. New (early) dies would not show this kind of texture.

It can be quite attractive and appealing, but I am pretty sure it indicates an older die.

I don't know buff grading. I do know that LIBERTY is tough to find fully struck on the T1. James brings up some good points for discussion around the grading of these. I'm here to learn. :)

Here is a 66 (Rattler) I own:

1913t1fcobvNGC.jpg

Just curious, what's leads you to believe it's a later die state? I can see a little die polishing lines under the chin of the Indian, and the cheek of the Indian is a tiny bit rough but that about it as far as I can see. The rims are very sharp and wide and all of the details are quite crispy as far as I can see........Joe

There is considerable die erosion visible in the hair and at other areas throughout the portrait. Those textured raised areas that look like tiny "bubbles" are an indication of where the die has worn, "stretching" and distorting the surfaces, so to speak. New (early) dies would not show this kind of texture.

It can be quite attractive and appealing, but I am pretty sure it indicates an older die.

I think what your referring to is die polishing lines that "only" show in front of the Indian, they do not show at all behind the portrait. These lines are the product of die polishing. I really don't see any of the erosion you speak of, at all. If you notice the hair above the knot of the Indian it's full as appose to the one that has been graded, the knot is also quite full in comparison....Joe

051-3.jpg

I put more light on this image, maybe this will help a bit....

Just curious, what's leads you to believe it's a later die state? I can see a little die polishing lines under the chin of the Indian, and the cheek of the Indian is a tiny bit rough but that about it as far as I can see. The rims are very sharp and wide and all of the details are quite crispy as far as I can see........Joe

011-7.jpg

010-12.jpg

Here's a coin that has been struck with later worn dies . If ya look at the reverse of this coin you'll see the "stretching" you referred to. I think it's easy to see the difference between the two. Just in case your wondering this is a 1920-S .The defense rests his case....Joe

I think what James is referring to is the texturing on the Indian's head, particularly the temple area. This look is often created on stressed dies. However, given the crispness of the rest of the coin, I'm not entirely sure that's not how it is suppposed to look. It may be one of those fine details that is obliterated quickly, and so only the first few coins show it.

I think what James is referring to is the texturing on the Indian's head, particularly the temple area. This look is often created on stressed dies. However, given the crispness of the rest of the coin, I'm not entirely sure that's not how it is suppposed to look. It may be one of those fine details that is obliterated quickly, and so only the first few coins show it.

Just to show I am not pig headed, you & James may have a point. And I agree with the idea if it's part of the design or not? Now I'm not sure, possibly not. After looking over all of my type 1's I found this one, not graded yet but I feel this may be an indacator, as I do not see this texturing on the temple area on this piece.

007-4.jpg

014-4.jpg

I'm not saying this one is an early die because at this point I'm second guessing myself. Maybe yous guys are right. The one that Leeg is showing, his pretty 66 also does not show this texturing. Is it suppose to be there? I don't know . :frustrated:....Joe