• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Rattler MS66 Morgan Dollar

13 posts in this topic

It's one of those "whatever" coins. If you cracked it out, you would run a strong chance of getting it back in an MS-65 holder.

This exposes the urban myth that all rattle holder coins are conservatively graded or under graded. Some were; some weren't.

Given the particular seller, they likely purchased it for MS63 prices because of the same argument you are making, and they are now hoping to sell it for MS66 prices on eBay to someone trying to build a registry set and just buying it for the grade. I would avoid this seller, even for slabbed coins. Just my 2 cents.

Given the particular seller, they likely purchased it for MS63 prices because of the same argument you are making, and they are now hoping to sell it for MS66 prices on eBay to someone trying to build a registry set and just buying it for the grade. I would avoid this seller, even for slabbed coins. Just my 2 cents.

If it's in a PCGS MS-66 "rattle holder" isn't it at least that grade or under graded? ;)hm

Somehow I can't believe they bought this for MS-63 money unless they ripped off the widow of a dead collector. Even if the thing is over graded you are not going to get it for a $100+ discount under bid unless your steal it.

Somehow I can't believe they bought this MS-63 money unless they ripped off the widow of a dead collector. Even if the thing is over graded you are not going to get it for a $100+ discount under bid unless your steal it.

Well, I wouldn't put that possibility past this seller. I avoid GSC at all cost. ;)

The last "rattler" I had...I broker out and it came back in the same grade. Mistake as it was worth more in the old holder...oops.

In a recent Stacks sale there were a couple of gold tagged CAC coins in old rattlers. I really couldn't believe my eyes to be honest. I didn't think any of the coins (well at least 3 of the 4 I saw) didn't deserve the grade in the rattler let alone the gold CAC.

The "urban myth" is just that...a myth. But then again perception seems to be reality....or some other such carp.

jom

how hard would it be to bust open a rattler holder and place a different coin in there? of all the holders the rattler holder seems like it would be the easiest to do that with