• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I guess the "Rock your Boat" Announcement

18 posts in this topic

I don't even know what mobile COINFACTS means

does it mean they can get it when they go on their trips to Vegas and Europe?

Is THIS the big announcement you refer to? Seems sorta.... boring:

What you see in the video is the tip of the iceberg. The availability and organization of the mobile information is unprecedented.

It is far more than just viewing PCGC.coinfacts on your smart phone (which is great). The data has been reformatted and is delivered instantly. It is designed to support coin specific transactions and real time interaction.

There isn't anything like it out there.

On August 12th give it a try. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Negotiating using mobile coinfacts will be like having a gun in your pocket.

The idea is you can look up information about a coin on your i-phone or i-pad while at a coin show or while in a coin shop. Sounds like a very useful tool to have if you are willing to pay the subscription fee and you have an i-phone or i-pad.

Interesting, but hardly an important feature, particularly when adding the cost of iphone data use. Does Mr. Willis (aka Mr. O'Brian from 1984) really believe his own hyperbole?

The idea is you can look up information about a coin on your i-phone or i-pad while at a coin show or while in a coin shop. Sounds like a very useful tool to have if you are willing to pay the subscription fee and you have an i-phone or i-pad.

I have CoinFacts and if WiFI were available at a coin show I'd be able to that WITHOUT the mobile application. So what's the big deal? I like CF pretty well but I don't why this is so earth shattering.

jom

I like CoinFacts but this new deal is not really useful for me.

If I were at shows all the time buying and selling, I would use it.

The new format looks really easy to use.

I just got an iPhone G4 - and I'm still learning how to use it;

I have Coin Facts ATS - and I hardly use it; I did download

the Grading App - which I use a little [ mostly to show friends

and family what I like ] .

I'll be at the ANA this week - and I'll see what I can do

with this new PCGS App. It looks very interesting, and

I'll give it a trial run in Chicago.

I will not be subscribing to the service but I think that it will be cool to see some old collector and dealer using their loupes while haggling over a coin, not to view the coin, but to be able to read the text on their smart phones!

I think that it will be cool to see some old collector and dealer using their loupes while haggling over a coin, not to view the coin, but to be able to read the text on their smart phones!

:roflmao:

So much for DW's comment Negotiating using mobile coinfacts will be like having a gun in your pocket... If they can't see the front sight on the barrel hm

Negotiating using mobile coinfacts will be like having a gun in your pocket

That is a rather absurd comment, if it's intended to mean something positive about this new deal. If someone has a gun in his pocket, chances are excellent he isn't really "negotiating".

Day after day, year after year, it becomes more and more obvious that PCGS has completely lost touch with coin collectors, and cares exclusively and only about their plastic. I almost can't stand owning coins in their slabs anymore.

Day after day, year after year, it becomes more and more obvious that PCGS has completely lost touch with coin collectors, and cares exclusively and only about their plastic. I almost can't stand owning coins in their slabs anymore.

I've got a half dozen at NGC for crossover right now ;)

Although I know you prefer... slightly stronger methods.

You do realize PCGS (and NGC for that matter) was never started for collectors, right? Therefore, I don't think they "lost" anything...they've never had it, IMO.

The TPGs were set up for dealers. Period. They were started by dealers and they are run by dealers. Not that the collector can't benefit mind you but the TPGs were never "in touch" with collectors...ever.

jom

You do realize PCGS (and NGC for that matter) was never started for collectors, right? Therefore, I don't think they "lost" anything...they've never had it, IMO.

The TPGs were set up for dealers. Period. They were started by dealers and they are run by dealers. Not that the collector can't benefit mind you but the TPGs were never "in touch" with collectors...ever.

jom

Problem with what you said. PCGS and NGC are NOT run by dealers. They prohibit the graders from commercially buying/selling coins. Also, the TPGS ARE in it for collectors. If not, why would they accept coins from people like you and me?

I think NGC is more in tune to collectors. They stopped the First Strike designation (PCGS started it) without any preasure from the public. And you can tell PCGS is starting to get a bad attitude.

For those newbies out there, read up on First strikes. Also, yes, NGC stopped the First Strikes thing BEFORE the lawsuit was filed. I plan on never using PGCS.