• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1903 Louisiana Purchase McKinley Gold Commemorative $1

23 posts in this topic

absolutely worth sending in for grading as there are many counterfeits of this specific coin

hard to tell from the photos but a guesstimate is the coin is genuine and choice unc. maybe?..................... better

and welcome to the boards (thumbs u

It looks quite nice, but the small images don't show it off well enough. Given those, I'd say in the 64+ range...with or without the + but maybe a point or two higher even----pending authenticity.

this Jefferson version graded NGC MS67 and is on Teletrade

c31111891-a.jpg

I dislike grading/buying raw gold from internet pics because of fakes

I can't even be convinced the coin you show is made of gold from your supplied pic

if the coin is dipped out and/or the photography lighting it might be the lighting

i do know that these coins when counterfeited you can really tell by the edge the reeded edge of the coin

it is a no brainer

i should know as a major dealer sold me 2 really good fakes in 1979 and i found out after the fact but lucky for me i was able to trade both coins back to him for something else that was at least genuine and from his rep and hesitation i know that he knew they were both questionable

lol

also the fakes once you knew what to look for you cant be fooled

Is anyone besides me concerned about the color? Could be just the photo or the lighting though.

I was concerned about the color also, but I didn’t say anything because of the fact that the photography might be the cause. Many of the Jefferson and McKinley gold dollars developed copper spots which some owners have tried to remove via dipping. The results are often the color you see in this picture.

The McKinley dollar I posted has the pleasing combination of coppery toning evenly mixed with the gold which gives the coin a rich color. It also has P-L which has caused it to resemble the rare examples of this coin in Proof, although it is definitely not a Proof. It was for these reasons that I went to the expense of getting this coin re-holder because the holder in which was housed was damaged.

Well I received the grade from NGC today and its a good news...bad news situation. The good news is the coin is genuine. The bad news is it graded Unc details improperly cleaned. I guess everyone hits a few roadblocks when they first start. I am starting a Morgan Dollar collections and would appreciate any advice that you have. I have already picked up the book A Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars by David Bowers...I guess the real problem I am having is deciding whether a coin is cleaned improperly or not (as evidenced by this expensive mistake). I would appreciate any advice that anyone could give me because like I said I am just starting out and am a little lost.

Thanks,

Jeff

Well I received the grade from NGC today and its a good news...bad news situation. The good news is the coin is genuine. The bad news is it graded Unc details improperly cleaned. I guess everyone hits a few roadblocks when they first start. I am starting a Morgan Dollar collections and would appreciate any advice that you have. I have already picked up the book A Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars by David Bowers...I guess the real problem I am having is deciding whether a coin is cleaned improperly or not (as evidenced by this expensive mistake). I would appreciate any advice that anyone could give me because like I said I am just starting out and am a little lost.

Having cataloged more of these than I care to remember, I can tell you this for a fact. EVERY single one I have ever seen has had hairlines, ALL of them! Now, the degree changes from coin to coin, but even the MS-67s that I have examined had hairlines. So don't be too disappointed. It's simply a series that saw more than its fair share of minor surface issues, and it just means yours fall squarely into the "typical" category.