• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offer me something to buy for $300-400

19 posts in this topic

Let's try something novel....PM me with something you are willing to sell to me in the price range of $300-400. No modern. No foreign. Highly Prefer a single coin only. NGC/PCGS graded is preferred, small holder ANACS worth consideration.

I hope to get some interesting offers!

Thanks.

Hi, I have a NGC 1989 Kennedy Half MS-65 DPL ( Deep Proof Like ), Only one known to exist to date. The only other Kennedy DPL graded is NGC 1974 MS-64 DPL. I would love to get $300 - $400.00 for it. But I would take $160.00 !! You could be the only person with a coin like this!! Good Luck on what your looking for!!Clyde the die

Hi, I have a NGC 1989 Kennedy Half MS-65 DPL ( Deep Proof Like ), Only one known to exist to date. The only other Kennedy DPL graded is NGC 1974 MS-64 DPL. I would love to get $300 - $400.00 for it. But I would take $160.00 !! You could be the only person with a coin like this!! Good Luck on what your looking for!!Clyde the die

The OP clearly stated no moderns.

1949 D/S Jefferson Nickel PCGS & CAC MS64 $375 & shipping . You will also notice this is in an OGH !!! Great Jefferson Variety.

Free shipping and a $10.00 discount for an agreement to BUY within 24 hrs.

OR: These two as one lot for $400.00 flat, shipping incl.

114137.jpg.bd85d812b86bfc02afb4f2823651b2ac.jpg

114138.jpeg.e1182f4569c5494f61194eb3dc01d601.jpeg

114139.jpeg.dd37d324f06d03f1bb1a1b4322d32649.jpeg

OK, let me be more clear....I'm interested in 19th Century coins.

I'm not asking to be snarky, I honestly don't know the answer. BUT, do most people consider "modern" coins to be anything after 1900? I have heard the term used more as meaning after 1964, and even for some after 1950. People also use the term "ultra modern", in my experience mostly to mean coins from 2000-present.

Anyone chime in here with whether there is a "hard" rule about the usage of these terms? Or do they just kind of get thrown around willy-nilly?

Thanks,

BRG, there is no hard rule. Many people consider anything after 1964 as modern because of the transition from silver ot copper-nickel. That is where I personally draw the line. Some people consider modern to be anything after they were born (which for some of these old geezers, is actually quite a long time ago). Some people consider anything 20th century (although this group is generally small). NGC puts the cutoff at the incredibly random date of 1955, right in the middle of several series. Additionally, some people put the cutoff at any series which is currently circulating, which means it varies (Roosevelt, Jefferson, Washington, Kennedy). This argument makes a good bit of sense. As you can see, how you define modern is really up to you.

BRG, there is no hard rule. Many people consider anything after 1964 as modern because of the transition from silver ot copper-nickel. That is where I personally draw the line. Some people consider modern to be anything after they were born (which for some of these old geezers, is actually quite a long time ago). Some people consider anything 20th century (although this group is generally small). NGC puts the cutoff at the incredibly random date of 1955, right in the middle of several series. Additionally, some people put the cutoff at any series which is currently circulating, which means it varies (Roosevelt, Jefferson, Washington, Kennedy). This argument makes a good bit of sense. As you can see, how you define modern is really up to you.

Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I primarily collect ultra-modern coins (2000-present), but I have a few oldies floating around also (e.g., 1548 Polish/Lithuanian 1/2 Grosz and a couple Conder Tokens).

Just out of curiosity, is there a year after which the minting process changed enough to consider coins minted by modern means different? For example, I noticed that for Proof Roosevelt Dimes, after 1979 virtually all coins are Ultra Cameo, but in the 50s is is virtually unheard of. And, the transition from non-UC coins to UC coins is a rather steep one starting in 1970 or so.

Thanks again for the historical and useful description of what various people consider "modern".

Personally (as an exception to 19th century coins), I consider Mercury dimes and Walking Liberties as not modern because 1) they are silver which is obsolete circulating media, and 2) The design is obsolete for circulating coins. By this definition, Franklin halves would fall into the category, but unless they are CAM Proofs I just don't like them.

So it's really a subjective and individual based definition.

Well I have a Merc dime that falls into that dollar range; 1918 MS64 FSB sm ANACS holder I dont have a pic but can take one if you want to see it, toned obv and rev that is just ok to me but the strike is very high end imo.

Chris