• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gas Coupon

8 posts in this topic

GAS COUPON: I didn't realize it, but these coupons are good for one gallon of gas at most retailers.. I have seen them around, but until recently never took advantage of them, I never realized their actual worth.

You probably have one or two just lying around somewhere, now is the time to use them before they lose their value, and it's too late!!

216865_10150169430567197_547717196_7553096_522164_a.jpg

Sorry, someone sent this in an email a couple months ago and I had to post it.

:applause:

It now cost me $145 to fill up my truck!!

I feel your pain lol It cost me over $500 to fill my pickup. But thats only because I was too lazy to replace the two 19 gallon fuel tanks (along with the faulty selctor valve) and placed a 150 gallon fuel tank from a semi into the back cargo area instead.

-Chris#2

Did you know that during the 1973 oil embargo the BEP did print several million gasoline rationing coupons each good for one unit of gas? But when the embargo ended the project was shelved and the coupons were put in storage. In the early 80's someone realized that the portrait of George Washington on the coupons could activate some change machines. (Considering Gas was $1.50 a gallon at the time and rising why anyone would use their coupons in a change machine to get a dollar in change was never explained.) Because of this the entire printing of coupons were ordered destroyed. The Smithsonian requested some examples for their collection and was turned down.

The coupons were not burned. They were shredded, And they were shredded in an outdoor shredder on a windy day. They also tried shoving the coupons in faster than the shredder could handle them and it jammed. While cleaning it out the wind caught some of the coupons and blew them away. From time to time these never released coupons do show up on the collector market. I have seen individual coupons, uncut groups of two to four coupons, and even the occasional full uncut sheet.

Did you know that during the 1973 oil embargo the BEP did print several million gasoline rationing coupons each good for one unit of gas? But when the embargo ended the project was shelved and the coupons were put in storage. In the early 80's someone realized that the portrait of George Washington on the coupons could activate some change machines. (Considering Gas was $1.50 a gallon at the time and rising why anyone would use their coupons in a change machine to get a dollar in change was never explained.) Because of this the entire printing of coupons were ordered destroyed. The Smithsonian requested some examples for their collection and was turned down.

The coupons were not burned. They were shredded, And they were shredded in an outdoor shredder on a windy day. They also tried shoving the coupons in faster than the shredder could handle them and it jammed. While cleaning it out the wind caught some of the coupons and blew them away. From time to time these never released coupons do show up on the collector market. I have seen individual coupons, uncut groups of two to four coupons, and even the occasional full uncut sheet.

This sounds almost too weird to be true. Thanks for the history lesson. (thumbs u

This sounds almost too weird to be true. Thanks for the history lesson. (thumbs u

Just did a search and it looks like they are out there. Littleton is selling a torn XF for $145. A PMG Unc 65 sold on eBay a few months ago for $51. hm

These things could be considered to be in the same class as the 1933 double eagles. Government property with no legal way for them to be out there (they wouldn't even give the Smithsonian examples), yet they are openly bought and sold in the marketplace. When they first showed up the government did make noises about confiscating them but nothing ever came of it.