• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1831 Capped Bust Half Grading Help

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I’m going through my grandfather’s old coin collection and I came across this 1831 Capped Bust Half. I apologize for the picture quality, but I’d be interested in hearing what people think it might grade, and whether it would be worth it to try sending this to NCS for conservation to get the greenish gunk off the reverse. I’d also love to know what Overton variety it is if anyone can tell with these pictures. Thanks for your help!

113923.jpg.b40166f7e66c0ef9f545fd0a13feb362.jpg

113924.jpg.2cb5f99eef6360d38d001f7c48c5df25.jpg

The details are solid VF-35+, right on the cusp of EF.

I actually like the look despite some surface issues, and would still consider it worth VF-30 money.

Personally, NCS will not do much to help the coin.

As for die-marriage, I don't have the brick with me right now.

Buy some acetone and give it a soak. Any green stuff should come off.

Looks to be a VF35 ish coin. Worth around $100 if you sell as is to a dealer, and depending on its appearance after a bath.

Probably O-101 R1

Thanks for the comments James and MBA.

Acetone doesn't react negatively with this kind of coin?

NO you will be fine giving the coin a soak . It s got a nice coin under there somewhere :)

That looks like a 'circulated cameo' like the coins (CBHs) that Jason is all into.

I am gonna say that, if that coin had no issues, it would grade XF-40. I really think it would.

Looks like a nice coin, most likely an O-101 as MBA101 said, though I would view this one as a solid VF, with not quite enough to make it an XF. Still a nice coin ignoring the "gunk"!

Can't really tell how much difference it made because the picture quality differs, but the new pics show a rather crusty coin. Would be happy to own her!