• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1934-p peace

19 posts in this topic

this coin currently resides in a problem free PCGS holder, i think it is undergraded and am considering crossing it over to NGC but would like to see what you guys think. The obverse fields are very clean with awesome luster. There is a distracting mark on liberty's forehead. The reverse is near flawless with excellent fields and luster, easy MS66 IMO. I am concerned/interested in how much the obverse forehead mark would impact the overall grade. Let me know what you think, thanks

113895.jpg.3ada5616e1306f559bd29fe807ede458.jpg

113896.jpg.7009bc1c84337076127d0964eaf63a88.jpg

Sorry but can't see a 66 :(, Not with the knocks on the face

thats not what i was saying, i was saying the reverse alone is of MS66 quality. I know the obverse is not. What i am interested in is how much that obverse mark would hurt the grade.

alright so it is currently in a MS63 holder, i think it should be a no problem MS64 with a slight chance at MS65 if they happen to not see the forehead mark. I think i will cross it over with my 1924-p. It doubles in value going from 63 to 64. so it is worth a shot

alright so it is currently in a MS63 holder, i think it should be a no problem MS64 with a slight chance at MS65 if they happen to not see the forehead mark. I think i will cross it over with my 1924-p. It doubles in value going from 63 to 64. so it is worth a shot

Well, I'll tell you now . There's no way they will miss that knock on the head

Is it worth all the fees involved to potentially get it into a 64 . If after a regrade , it stays in the 63, then you've lost half of it's value :(

I am concerned/interested in how much the obverse forehead mark would impact the overall grade.

I think that particular mark takes off 1+ point. However, the cheek also has friction hairlines, and an additional mark appears near the back of the neck. All these distractions take place in THE prime focal area (Liberty's portrait), which is why I guessed MS-63.

I suspect the odds for upgrade are very slim. It's a $180 retail coin as-is ("retail" is actually greysheet for these coins), and $350 is MS-64 money.

These translate to actual wholesale values of about $125 and $275 respectively.

It's going to cost you about $40 for all the hassle of regrade. So is it worth the hassle?

(shrug)

Personally, I prefer to avoid coins of that value range in slabs altogether, because just too much value is sucked up into the cost of the plastic. But, best of luck whatever you decide to do!

the 1934-p and 1924-p are off to NGC for crossover, should have the results late next week, i paid to have them do it quickly :) I am hoping the 1924-p comes back as a MS66 and the 1934-p a MS64, even if 1 of them comes back favorably it will be a success.

the 1934-p and 1924-p are off to NGC for crossover, should have the results late next week, i paid to have them do it quickly :) I am hoping the 1924-p comes back as a MS66 and the 1934-p a MS64, even if 1 of them comes back favorably it will be a success.

If you had put the cost of the grading fees and associated costs ,plus the sale of the coins into the pot you would of just about had both upgrades paid for .

Peace dollars are hard to grade at the best of times so hopefully you do well :wishluck:

Interesting post. If you were buying it again, would you pay a 64 or a 65 price? Can't buy (or sell) based on the holder alone, right? Maybe a 64, but that mark is pretty distracting. At 64, I'd still have some negative thoughts. (Just my opinion.)

should have the results from the crossover this coming week, i also sent in an awesome 1924-p in a PCGS OGH holder at MS65, that one should go MS66.

Interesting post. If you were buying it again, would you pay a 64 or a 65 price? Can't You CAN buy (or sell) based on the holder alone, right? Maybe a 64, but that mark is pretty distracting. At 64, I'd still have some negative thoughts. (Just my opinion.)

I think that's what you meant to say.