• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a hypothetical.... posted by NAS Fallon Firefighter

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What if NGC placed a point premium of Early Releases?

Hi everyone,

This past weekend Moondoggy sent me an email to go and check out the points assigned for the 2011 Proof SAE in the registry. To my amasement...the PF70 was awarded 3000 points and it went all the way down to near 1000 points for the lowest grade! Now obviously NGC made a mistake and when I contacted them, it was corrected quickly.

But my question I posed to Moondoggy was this: What if NGC did give a point premium to Early Release SAEs and other coins with this label in the registry? Let's just say for arguements sake...PF70UC Early Release label gets 200 more points then a standard PF70UC label and so on down the line.

There is a premium for ER labels already. Would this drive the price up even more?

Would you as a collector pay this price if ranking is important to you? What if the overall value of your collection is important to you...would you buy them?

Would you submit more of your coins for the ER label and pay the higher price for the higher points and possible higher returns if you sold your coin?

And the big question...what would your feelings be toward NGC if they made a move like this?

Just food for thought and remember...just hypothetical.

Jeffrey

See more journals by NAS Fallon Firefighter

I will not pay more for a coin in an ER holder. I think hype can bring the price of a coin up and that is what the ER label does as well as the US flag label that looks nice but still isn't worth any more money. I hope NGC never puts any more points towards certain holders over others. All coins in ER holders are new coins anyways, unless you can submit a sealed box of 1969 proof sets and get them with ER holders as long as the dates fall between certain dates. Variety is the spice of life so I would like to be able to submit to NGC a design that only my holders will have so when I sell them they will be worth more, COME ON PEOPLE!

Quite frankly, I hate the Early Release labels. These are modern coins; and like any others, if they're struck early in the process are going to be slightly better because they're from fresh dies. But to give premiums (both money and points) just for a label really rubs me the wrong way. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I just cannot justify the concept for modern coins, I've noticed prices for 70's (Sacs especially, and even the silver state quarters except the 99's) are down almost 50% for the Sacs and maybe about a 1/3. I periodically revalue my coins in my collecting software, and am noticing a downward trend on moderns What makes the Earrly Release label so valuable, it's just a ipiece of paper which doesn't add a single thing to the coin.

rantrant

Unfortunately, your "hypothetical" may not be too far from reality. In the Presidential Dollar Mint State set there is already a premium given for coins with the "First Day" label. That in my eyes is just as useless as the "Early Releases" label. The only thing they are selling the "First Day" coin on is the extra label designation, and people pay hefty premiums because of it.

For example: http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SlotScoreDetail.aspx?SlotID=28928

Interestingly this point premium was not carried over into the ATB Quarters which have "Release Day" holders. And, across the street, the other big grader already is milking the label fever of Presidential and Native American dollar collectors by differentiating the "Position A" and "Position B" edge insciptions.

My personal preference is to never purchase a coin because of the label. BUT, because I have an almost complete 2011 Mint Set already, by default almost all of these coins are in Early Release holders because that's how they were available to me. I don't feel I overpaid for any of them though, and stick to true auctions and rarely BIN on the BAY to help ensure that. Actually, most of my 2011 Mint Set pieces were purchased outside of the BAY alltogether from a dealer I have dealt with quite a bit.

In closing, I hope that NGC gets rid of all "label premium" registry scoring. The points assigned a coin should be based on the preservation state grade (MS/PF/SP) and any eye appeal and strike designators (Cam, UCam, Star, Plus, PL, DPL). All other rubbish should not merit a point "premium", IMO.

Hey Jeffery--I for one enjoyed the 3023 points while they lasted……lol! Sooner or later NGC will give more points for some labels too drive sales, seems logical from a marketing standpoint otherwise why bother. This website is an exceptional marketing plan to drive sales of NGC products and promote their brand. Labels in general are another great way to drive sales from collectors who want them. People are going to collect these as sets and I think it's all according to plan, a very well executed plan…..brilliant really!

Later, Larry

Labels don't do much for me. I can take them or leave them but wouldn't pay more just to have them. On the other hand, when I am ready to sell, if people want to pay me more on an E-Bay listing I'll gladly take whatever premium people are willing to pay. As far as registry points, I say no premium points.

Gary

I actually avoid the early release labels, and in fact, the only coins I own with the early release designation are the 5oz silver ATB coins in MS and SP, because almost all of those have them. I like my sets to match, in grade, toning, and yes, even in label. I guess I could buy early release coins if I could get a better deal on one over a regular label, as I plan on vanity pedigree'ing most of my collection in the future, and I could have the early release not included on the label at that point, but meh. I hope there is never a point premium given to them, and NGC has never hinted that there will be.

Alan, I agree with you wholeheartedly. What worries me a bit about the "Early Releases" label is that NGC does track which coins are holdered with it. If they are going through the hassle of the bookkeeping to differentiate the label, I fear (maybe unjustifiably so) that eventually that bookkeeping will come to haunt the Registry.

Just a little thing I noticed, but NGC does not in any way separate out the "Flag" labeled coins or the "San Francisco Bridge Labeled (S) ASE". In NGC's eyes, these are just vanity plate labels. But, for some reason they do recognize separately in their population reports the ATB Quarters Release Ceremony, the Presidential Dollar FDI, and for the 2011 issues the "Early Releases" label. My fear is that there must be some reason for this bookkeeping. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. It's just an observation.

On a related note, it is a real pain in my that when I look up populations of coins, when I click on a coin in my Collection Manager view, it does not combine the populations in the ER and regular holders! I have to go to the Census website and do the menial addition to get the real population. For example, the 2011P Dime graded as MS69FT has a current population of 13 / 0. Of those, 11 are in ER holders and only 2 are in regular holders. But, if you have one that is in a regular holder and you were to click on the population data directly you would think you had a pop 2 / 0 coin....

:makepoint:

On a related note, it is a real pain in my that when I look up populations of coins, when I click on a coin in my Collection Manager view, it does not combine the populations in the ER and regular holders! I have to go to the Census website and do the menial addition to get the real population. For example, the 2011P Dime graded as MS69FT has a current population of 13 / 0. Of those, 11 are in ER holders and only 2 are in regular holders. But, if you have one that is in a regular holder and you were to click on the population data directly you would think you had a pop 2 / 0 coin....

:makepoint:

That, I didn't know. Yeah, that needs to be fixed, IMO. Or show both variations on the same page at least. I'd hate to pay for a pop 2 coin that was actually a pop 13 coin.