• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever stop to admire coins you've received in change?

5 posts in this topic

When I receive 1968 to 1973 (or maybe 1974) cents in change, they stand out like a sore thumb for their relatively high relief. Compared with cents struck today they look like little medallions. 1967 and prior cents don't have the strong details of them, either. And somehow it seems cool to find San Francisco cents in change.

Recently I found a few nickels from the early 1960s and was similarly impressed. Maybe I've been away from buying expensive coins too long. (shrug)

Yes, but it's a rare phenomenon since most coins these days are so pathetic. The last two that I remember thinking were particularly nice were a Zincoln that I'm guessing had been through the laundry and had some nice toning, and a 10 cent Euro (e.g. a 1/10 Euro) from Italy that had the face of Venus from Botticelli's "Birth of Venus".

Although the designs of today are certainly dreary, I am astonished at how high grade some coins are, found in change. As many of you know, I frequent ALDI, and when I look at some of the most recent coins, I swear many of them have to grade MS-68!

Even quarters popped out of fresh rolls can look MS-66 or better, and those tend to get banged around a bit.

I tend to admire Lincons laying on the ground for a while and always seem to have nice toning. Probably from the rain, pavement oils, and the sun.

The only coin I've admired that I got in change was a Proof quarter. How it got there I'll never know, but I could see what it was as the lady was handing it to me from the cash registrer.