• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And I was going to bid on this.......

9 posts in this topic

Every time I see a different medal, or in this case, a plaquette from any of the International Expositions, I always like to try to add it to my collection. I'm particularly fond of the 1900 Exposition because it was held in conjunction with the Paris Olympics that year. I've only seen photos of this plaquette, and I knew that it would probably be expensive, but I never thought it would go this high.

Maybe once the feeding frenzy has subsided, a few more will surface and I can get one at an affordable price.

Chris

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140573607318&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seeing that is kind of a shame. One of the members of the local coin club collected Olympic participation medals and that is the only one he was missing. He would have been a SERIOUS bidder on that piece but he died Memorial Day Weekend.

What would you think the plaquette to be worth, Chris. I would have no idea, but I am sure that you would.

Jim

About 6 years ago, when I was buying most of the exposition medals for $75-$150, I saw one of these sell for $375. The only thing I can assume in this auction is that there were 2 or 3 bidders (note that the last two were probably snipes) who really wanted this. I've placed similar, ridiculously high bids on items in the past when I would lose in a previous auction and I wanted to be sure to win.

Chris

You spend more money than that on TP monthly you cheap skate so get in their and bid on the next one :baiting:

You've got to be kidding! I wash it out and reuse it.

Nope! That is three months of Social Security. What I need is someone to adopt me and Stefanie so I can get the medals and Morgans I want and she can get her gold Pandas in the Scotsman auction.

Chris

You spend more money than that on TP monthly you cheap skate so get in their and bid on the next one :baiting:

You've got to be kidding! I wash it out and reuse it.

Nope! That is three months of Social Security. What I need is someone to adopt me and Stefanie so I can get the medals and Morgans I want and she can get her gold Pandas in the Scotsman auction.

Chris

Oooohhh ya, we are adoptable as a set :grin:

I just started with my Panda collection again

If anyone wants to see it, not much yet but more are on the way