• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1849 $20 Gold Liberty Proof - Is this Real? For $19.99

17 posts in this topic

1849 $20 Gold Liberty Proof

The United States First $20 Gold Piece ... As A 10 Mil Pure Gold Proof!

A tribute to the 1849 $20 Double Eagle Goldpiece ... the rarest goldpiece ever struck! About one year after gold was found at Sutter's Mill in 1848, a bill was introduced in Congress calling for a $20 gold coin. The measure passed with ease and the $20 Double Eagle was born. The dies were engraved by James B. Longacre, but troubles with the coining dies served to create a true numismatic rarity. In 1850, the first two -- and only two -- were struck. This 10 mil 24K tribute to the "Holy Grail" of all collectors features Lady Liberty on the obverse and the American Eagle on the reverse. Includes certificate of authenticity.

96749.jpg

1849 $20 Gold Liberty Proof

The United States First $20 Gold Piece ... As A 10 Mil Pure Gold Proof!

A tribute to the 1849 $20 Double Eagle Goldpiece ... the rarest goldpiece ever struck! About one year after gold was found at Sutter's Mill in 1848, a bill was introduced in Congress calling for a $20 gold coin. The measure passed with ease and the $20 Double Eagle was born. The dies were engraved by James B. Longacre, but troubles with the coining dies served to create a true numismatic rarity. In 1850, the first two -- and only two -- were struck. This 10 mil 24K tribute to the "Holy Grail" of all collectors features Lady Liberty on the obverse and the American Eagle on the reverse. Includes certificate of authenticity.

96749.jpg

yes!!!!!!!! it is a real tribute piece made out of i think pot metal with one 10 millionth of an inch of real 24k gold plating

if the price was 3 usd including free shipping i would NOT buy one

as then i would get all their junque mail for years filling up my mailbox trying to sell me more overpriced mess

in fact i would not take this piece of mess if they sent it to me for free lol as then i get years of unwanted junque mail filling up my mailbox all with fancy coin photos starting rare and gold and investment etc on the outside of the envelope then some nut sees it and i get robbed

in fact now that i think about it i dont want one of theses pieces of mess if they sent it to me for free including shipping and put a 5 dollar bill in the envelope

pass

It's not even a good copy. It bears just a superficial resemblance to the design of a real double eagle.
Exactly what I was about to say. Stay away!

It's garbage like this that drives coin dealers crazy. Someone finds it and thinks they hit the jackpot. When the dealer tells them what it's worth, they accuse the dealer of trying to rip them off.

They had to start making the imitation naughahyde, ,Harvesting of naughas reached the point where they became endangered. When was the last time you saw a naugha?

I think that the guy who cut the dies for this "1849 $20 Gold Liberty Proof" has a future in the Chinese counterfeit coin industry. With a little practice perhaps could move up in the trade from “level two” to “level three” in the five level counterfeit quality scale. :mad: