• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious on grade and value 61Proof Franklin

14 posts in this topic

It is virtually impossible to provide a grade to modern proof coins because the hairlines are a major grade limiting consideration, and I don't think it's possible to detect hairlines from that photo (or any photo for that matter). Often hairlines are not visible until the coin is rotated in various directions. This is hard to show in a photograph.

With regards to the value, unless its a double die (which it doesn't appear to be although it would be difficult to ascertain this with larger photos), I don't think you will get much more than melt. Because silver is so high, bullion value has pretty much eliminated/engulfed any numismatic premium that you would have gotten otherwise.

I would have to guess 66 to 67. And, doesn't look like any cameo. That would mean, it's not worth grading. You would need to make a coin in at least 67 cameo to make it worth your while.

Thanks for the replies everyone.. Those were the dealer photos as I was debating whether to buy that one. Based on a possible 66/67, definitely not one worth sending in. I'm sort of getting started with this side of things and trying to decide the best way of picking a few things.

I like the Jefferson nickles as well as the Franklin halves.Guess I will keep looking...

If you're just looking for one to put into an album, let me know, I think I have one that might be of use to you. How much does the dealer want? I'm sure you'd do better elsewhere.

I believe the dealer was seeking 25.00 for that half... I'm thinking of actually starting a collection of these if I can.

I need to do more research as well and decide whether I simply want to try proof or stick with nicer MS type halves.

R.

Aah, well thanks for the input everyone~ I guess that one will just be passed on by~~

There are no decent ( if any ) dealers local to my location, so I basically have to rely on internet dealers and e-dump for 99% of anything I want, other than any decent items I can find circulating (paper money ) that is..

~R

it has a couple small blue spots.

by the Y in LIBERTY and on eagle

could be pic artifact or PVC, I would pass

Doesnt look original, the coin is off-color and clean but looks smooth. Could be wrong, I'm not a pro. I'd say PF67 if it is real.

Doesnt look original, the coin is off-color and clean but looks smooth. Could be wrong, I'm not a pro. I'd say PF67 if it is real.

While it's true that the image makes the coin look odd, I doubt that someone would waste their time to tamper with such a common and inexpensive coin (although I could be wrong). I would be willing to bet that the lighting is the culprit here. With this said, I'm not sure how you could possibly grade the coin based on the images. Proof coins are notorious for hairlines and in grades above PF63, hairlines are the major grade limiting factor. Hairlines are difficult to show in a photograph, and often they only show when the coin is rotated to the "correct angle."