• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction Bidding posted by TD Henson

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What's the right price, when am I obsessive and why do I screw up so much?

Going along the theme DM Merrill Associates has started, why is that I always get cold feet before and after the auction?

Here's a recent saga for me, which repeats all too often...

I find a coin that I really need/want and stick it in my favorites/watch list to come back to and bid later in the auction. I recently found a tough coin listed on one of the major auction sites for a set I'm working on. It's a modern coin, so I bid $150 thinking that maybe this would be good enough. I walked away and forgot it and the coin sold for $300.

My first reaction was that's way too much...then I thought well given the pop reports and my own searching of the year and MM maybe it's fair...then I thought "how stupid can I be, as I let a steal get away!

Anyone else go through this post-auction hillarity?

I do similar stupid things when I win. At first I'm jubiliant that I won, then I go into buyer's remorse that I paid too much, then I start feeling like the price was good to eventually I talk myself into the fact that I'm an auction wizard and I was able to score that coin for an awesome price!!

Stupid!!! Probably need to start CBA - Coin Bidders Anonymous - to help with my "problem".

Happy 4th of July to you all!!

Todd

Today's picture the reverse of my freshly graded 1979-D MS 66 FT Roosie!

9017.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Lord God, grant me the serenity to accept losing the coins that I cannot affford to bid on or to win, The courage to bid on and win the things that I can that are worthy, and wisdom to know the difference. :)

I am definitely a coin addict!

I'd be drinking coffee and saying "Hi, my name is...." at those meetings for sure!!

Happy 4th of July!!!

Just make me an offer on a few of mine that remain and all the auction pain and suffering will go away!

By the way Todd, been there and done that. It always stinks to be the under bidder!