• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this may be a crazy question but it popped into my head.

11 posts in this topic

...has anyone ever photographed a coin before submission because they were

overwhelmed with a switcheroo obsession? you were so nervous/afraid that

the coin returned wouldn't be the actual coin that you sent in so you went to

this extreme? this came to me during a day dream one day. just had to

ask. and if it ever happened what kind of nightmare could you expect? hm

just wondering.

About a decade ago I photographed every coin I sent in for grading because I wanted the best picture possible of it, and once the piece was in a slab, it would not be that picture. I've been paying serious money for coins since the early 1970s, and I had a fair number of raw coins that needed to be slabbed. The only places I really "messed up" in the opinion of the TPG graders was early copper. Otherwise all of my coins graded although I didn't always get the grades I throught I deserved ... and some times I got more than I deserved. ;)

I have photos of MOST of my coins but the ones that I don't, or didn't bother imaging, I would still know. To me each coin is almost like a fingerprint. They all have markers and very distinct luster and strike characteristics. I would know it at a glance....but that's just me. I am very intuitive and a little crazy. ;)

Some people do it, not so much out of fear of having the coin switched, but because from time to time accusations crop up that coins that were submitted have come back cleaned. Coins which went in toned came back white etc and that the coins owner was not asked beforehand if the coin could be cleaned. In some cases there have been claims that coins have come back damaged. Usually those who have made such accusations have not had any "before" pictures to substantiate their claims.

Personally I think taking photos before sending into NCS is a good idea. It gives you a basis for comparing how good a job they've done because in this case you KNOW they are going to be doing something to your coins. unfortunately most people don't take such photos and then when their coins come back they show them off and say "See how good a job they did!" And we have no basis for comparison to say if they did a good job or not.

Since you mentioned it, Conder, here are the before and after pics of a Bicentennial medal that I submitted to NCS/NGC. It was really in bad shape and needed all the help it could get. It came back PF66UCAM.

Anyone have opinions on the results? Don't pull any punches! You won't hurt my feelings.

Chris

113231.jpg.13ce69106ec6489e838ffd37da3a2b6d.jpg

113232.jpg.98c03bad9c44cbafe34901d370c8a36d.jpg

113233.jpg.6f45276c1e1356dc1f172f993151d9f0.jpg

113234.jpg.aa4592e1bc9ad09ff1bb7a90d6a9dc46.jpg

In my opinion they probably did the best they could but I would say the surfaces are damaged. It almost looks like they are lightly etched as from PVC damage. To me it is a rather unattractive piece and the conservation did no real improvement. Bad before, bad now. That's just how I see it. PF-60 details etched.

I agree with Conder, Chris.

Those surfaces still have that milky look from either a cleaning and/or some other sort of luster deterioration.

I'm just being honest.....sorry.

No need to apologize. I feel the same way, but I think NCS did the best that they could.

Conder, I don't think the contamination was from PVC. When I got the medal, it was still in the original Mint presentation case. It wasn't in an AirTite (or whatever type of disc was used back then). It only had contact with the velour lining. The only thing I can guess is that it was exposed to heat and humidity for a very long time, here, in Florida.

Chris

PS. In spite of it all, I still like the medal. There were very few of them made.

Chris