• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OFF TOPIC!.......or is it?

11 posts in this topic

My Florida license plate was scheduled for renewal. I wanted to get a different personalized plate to honor my Mom & Dad so instead of going online to renew my old personalized plate, 9BAWL, I opted to go to the Tag Office to see what was available. Florida has more than 70 specialty plates in addition to the 2 standard plates.

There are certain limitations to the number of characters you can use. Some of the specialty plates have a left-side logo for such things as the USMC insignia, US ARMY, Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, etc. This style of plate can only accommodate 5 characters. Another style of specialty plate has a centered logo which can accommodate up to 6 characters with one or two spaces. The standard plates can accommodate up to 7 characters or 6 characters with one or two spaces.

Anyway, the clerk was kind enough to take the time to go through all of the different options that were available to me, and I finally decided that I could use "DEC 6 41" with two spaces. That was the day that Mom & Dad got married.

Now, it was time to choose which specialty plate would be appropriate. A sample plate of each of the different designs is mounted on a 20' wall behind the counter. The clerk waited patiently as I browsed through all of the samples. The Heart logo for medical research? No! The Apple logo for teachers? No. The Manatee logo for "Save the Manatee"? No. I've already used the Everglades logo, the Challenger logo and the Orlando Magic logo. Those were out. I was about ready to give up. The only thing I hadn't considered were the two standard Florida plates that were mounted in the bottom corner at the very end of the wall. As I was turning to go back to the beginning, I glanced at the standard plates and I stopped dead in my tracks. There it was! The perfect plate to honor Mom & Dad which also gave recognition for something I have enjoyed for more than 5 decades.

Chris

113201.jpg.37482205096bcb270646c2a38c907ca1.jpg

Wow!! Chris, what a wakeup call the next day. The best day of their lives followed by, in the least, the worst. Congrats--good job in your selection.

Jim

Florida has more than 70 specialty plates in addition to the 2 standard plates.

Just 72 plates? Indiana has you beat by almost 30. We have 99 different plates now. I often wonder what the police think having to deal with so many different plates. It used to be it was fairly easy to look at a plate and know where it was from even if you couldn't read the state name on it. With hundreds if not thousands of designs out there now how do you know what states database to run a plate on?

Chris------Jim beat me to my initial thought----great minds and all.

Really like your choice. Very typical of you to honor your parents. Take care. Bob [supertooth]

Florida has more than 70 specialty plates in addition to the 2 standard plates.

Just 72 plates? Indiana has you beat by almost 30. We have 99 different plates now. I often wonder what the police think having to deal with so many different plates. It used to be it was fairly easy to look at a plate and know where it was from even if you couldn't read the state name on it. With hundreds if not thousands of designs out there now how do you know what states database to run a plate on?

Well, why don't we put it to a test? You get drivers with the 99 different IN tags and I'll get drivers with the 72 (or so) different FL tags and we'll play a game ala Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit . We'll all take off from the same place and see how many can make it without getting caught cross-country. The one who makes it in the shortest time is the winner.The only stipulation is that Sally Field rides with me.

Chris

Chris------Jim beat me to my initial thought----great minds and all.

Really like your choice. Very typical of you to honor your parents. Take care. Bob [supertooth]

The only funny part about that day is that Mom didn't learn until about 30 years later that Dad didn't get drafted.

Chris