• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The verdict is in - My first conservation and submission to NCS and NGC

17 posts in this topic

Good afternoon fellow coin collectors,

Today I received my first 10 coins I sent to NCS for conservation to be graded at NGC. As some of you know I was not at ease shipping the coins from Iceland to the US but I know the express business and FedEx did a very good job getting them to Florida in 24 hours and thankfully everything went well. The overall process was filled with excitement and I am very pleased with how the service was from beginning to end. Everything was very professional and I’m happy with joining NGC.

Here are the coins in question

1925 2 Krónur MS65 (126.000)

Mint: Den kgl. Mint, Copenhagen.

Size: 28 mm.

Weight: 9, 5 g.

Material: 92% copper, 6% aluminum, 2% nickel

Reed: milled.

Obverse: Icelandic

Coat of arms without supporters.

This baby is very rare in high end grades and I only know a few of them that would be considered a MS coin so I’m very happy with the grade and the conservation. Highest graded sample

19252k.jpg

The 1925 1 Krónur MS63 (252.000)

Mint: Den kgl. Mint, Copenhagen

Size: 22, 5 mm.

Weight: 4, 75 g.

Material: 92% copper, 6% aluminum, 2% nickel

Now this one I thought would grade higher but still a rare piece in MS condition. NCS did a wonderful job but something cant be done. Second highest graded sample

19251krona.jpg

The 1925 25 Aurar MS63 (207.320)

Size: 15 mm.

Weight: 1, 5 g.

Material: 75% copper, 25% nickel

This year is one of the tougher dates to find in MS and I’m pleased with the outcome both grading and conservation. Second highest graded sample.

192525.jpg

1942 10 Aurar Zink MS64 (2.000.000)

Material: 100% Zink

Now this one was a surprise. These coins are extremely hard to find in mint state and I’m very pleased with the outcome of this beauty. Only sample graded.

1942-1.jpg

1940 10 Aurar MS66 (1.500.000)

Just awesome! Highest graded.

194010.jpg

1939/6 10 Aurar MS 62 (208.000)

I thought this one would grade higher but still pleased with the overall conservation and grade.

19396.jpg

1925 10 Aurar MS66 (321.025)

Now this one was is for me the most exiting coin of the lot. This date is very hard to find in MS and getting a 66 is just stunning. NCS did a wonderful job on the coin. Highest graded sample.

192510.jpg

1926 5 Aurar MS65 (355.431)

Size: 24 mm.

Weight: 6, 0 g.

Material: 95% copper, 4% tin, 1% Zink

Reed: plain

Obverse: crowned royal monogram.

Did not think it would grade so high. Very pleased with what NCS did. Highest graded sample.

5a19.jpg

1938 2 Aurar MS62 (206.231)

Mint: Den kill. Mint, Copenhagen

Size: 19 mm.

Weight: 3, 0 g.

I sent this coin for a reason, I wanted to see how far NCS would go with the conservation and what they could do. They did a great job very pleased and now I know what to expect. Second highest graded sample.

1938.jpg

1931 1 Aur MS64 (462.371)

Weight: 1, 6 g.

Very pleased with grade and conservation. Highest graded sample.

1Eyrir.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome and i´m currently making 20 cions ready to be sent to NCS/NGC. Now it´s just to master photos of coins in slabs

Siggi

I remember using the 5 Aurar in place of a quarter in Coke machines. you got a coke and 20 cents change.

Nice coins, it's got to be tough for the grader who gets these expecially for the one that is the only one graded. Everyone can grade a Morgan because there a millions to compare them to, but if it's the only coin...

I guess they agree that you have a good eye :golfclap:

all coins of island are scarce to rare

anyone putting together even circulating coins of the world current issues even one of each country always have the iceland coin missing

the coin you had graded are truly rare coins

all coins of island are scarce to rare

anyone putting together even circulating coins of the world current issues even one of each country always have the iceland coin missing

I don't think so. I've never noticed coins of Iceland being rare. Maybe in high grade or some of the earlier series, but they turn up fairly regularly in junk boxes, and I don't know how many non-collectors I've come to me wanting to know about their coin from Aurar Island. There are some countries that really hard to find, but I would not count Iceland as one of them.

Conder is correct,

Almost 99% of all coins minted for Iceland are easy to find.

On the other hand 99% of all kindgdom era coins are very hard and almost impossible to find in high end grades.

Republic era has some early dates that are scarce to rare find in high grades but 99 % are very easy to get in good grades.

Thanks everyone for your kind replys, It´s half of the joy of collecting to share the knowlidge and my collection.

Siggi

WELL WELL EXCUSE ME

i guess i will not be posting to anymore of your threads :foryou:

from my expereinces here in western ny state with our junior club members trying to get one of each country i have had just the opposite experiences with coins from island same with older regular club collectors

sorry i replied

so conder are you calling me a liar??

Michael you are taking this the wrong way,

Conder was not calling you a liar. He was mearly correcting your misunderstanding that all Icelandic coins are rare and so did I. This is what coin collectors do " Exchange information " The bases of coin collecting.

Sure they can be hard to find in parts of the world were they have not been imported but that rule can apply to any country and any coins.

Large ammounts of coins were produced in Iceland and the central bank of Iceland documetns that the last time Iceland changed their coins in 1980 590 tons of coins did were not changed so the volume of coins are massive.

All internet auction sites have many of these coins for sale, Any denomination at large volumes.

The tricky part is that some dates are very hard to find in MS and thus that would be rare.

Siggi

No of course I'm not calling you a liar. I was just surprised because your comment was completely at odds with my experience. Maybe for some reason they are rare in western NY, but they aren't in IN.

Just took a look on ebay and there are currently 482 auctions of Iceland material with at least 200 lots currently under $8 including shipping. I look under completed listings and I see 251 lots with nearly 100 of them having ended around $5 or less. At least 30 at under $2 including shipping. There is no reason why a one per country collector should have any problem finding an Iceland coin. Unless they are insisting on finding it in a junk box and they happen to live in an area that just doesn't have them.