• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Decent Toned Morgan

12 posts in this topic

Got this one recently and thought it was pretty cool. When Shane gets back from vacation Ill prolly have him photo it. For now your stuck with my lousy 2D camera work :D

DSC09308.jpg

DSC09311.jpg

"Decent toned"?

It's refreshing to see understatement instead of hype, as is usually the case when an owner or seller of a coin is describing it. (thumbs u

"Decent toned"?

It's refreshing to see understatement instead of hype, as is usually the case when an owner or seller of a coin is describing it. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Interesting responses. Thanks for the compliments. I know my pictures stink but can somebody please school me on pull-away? I would like to know more about how its formed.

color must be awesome

focus seems fine, wonder if lighting is holding up color

my eyes must be going - upside down that S looks like a O

pullaway has to do with lattice structure in metal that is different in non-toned areas due to the striking process and filling the die

Interesting responses. Thanks for the compliments. I know my pictures stink but can somebody please school me on pull-away? I would like to know more about how its formed.

Here is a copy of what I wrote in my toning articale on Key largo Rare coins....mind you my opinion as to the correct terminology differs from some in the hobby...which is ok ;)

Pull Away - Another type of toning pattern found on coins pulled out of bags is called pull away toning, so named for the fact that the coins actually get stuck to the side of the mint bags due to long term storage so when the coins are removed the toning actually stays stuck to the bag and is pulled away from the coin and what is left is usually a dull darker toned surface where the vibrant colorful toning used to be. Some refer to the untoned area's around the date and legends on some bag toned Morgan's as the pull away effect but that is not to be confused with actual pull away toning as those untoned areas never toned due to the change in molecular structure due to the flow of the medal around those high pressure areas. This change in structure makes those areas less prone to toning which leads to the appearance of the untoned shadows if you will. While this is a good sign of a coin being NT, it doesn't guarantee you that a coin is NT in of itself as this is usually more of an air transfer phenomenon vs. direct contact with a paper roll or cardboard album.

Here was the example I used for true pull away toning and not the pull away or untoned shadow effect that is seen on your coin. I have no doubts that your coin is 100% NT and bag toned.

Example

Shane, if that is what you call the pull-away effect, what do you call the actual pull away toning that virtually everyone else I've ever heard refer to as pull-away toning.