• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I can't understand how anyone could prefer the PCGS insert over EdgeView

11 posts in this topic

Here's a classic example of what I can't stand about the gooey, gloppy, gloopy rubber doughnut that PCGS uses. The gold dollar is a small coin, but look at how much of the edge is glooped up in the insert! Regarding the other thread with a tiny rim ding partially hidden by an NGC EdgeView holder, imagine how impossible it would be to see that ding in a PCGS holder!

In this case, you can see some green PVC at the top of the coin, just next to the glop. Far more annoying, though, the rubbery blubbery doughnut has sealed a human hair to the top edge of the reverse. Of course, human hair can find its way into an EdgeView holder, and adhere to the rim of the coin, but because less edge surface is touching the insert in EdgeView, the odds are lower. And of course, the old NGC inserts had the same problem as the PCGS inserts, since they also touched the entire rim.

I have simply come to really dislike the gooey doughnut, and really can't imagine how anyone could think a coin looks better with glop completely around it, rather than just four small portions of the coin's edge touching the insert.

But that's just me.... you be the judge.

junk0022.jpg

junk0021.jpg

Or was the PVC a creation of the gooey glop edge of the holder once the coin sat it in for some time?

I agree with James, I like the NGC prongs. Penny Lady provide a link to a PCGS pronged holder, I am not sure I like those as well as the NGC ones....

Or was the PVC a creation of the gooey glop edge of the holder once the coin sat it in for some time?

I agree with James, I like the NGC prongs. Penny Lady provide a link to a PCGS pronged holder, I am not sure I like those as well as the NGC ones....

Out of the millions of coins certified, I have never heard of this issue; it is likely NOT from the gasket.

You REALLY can't understand it? Or are you just using a figure of speech and exaggerating your point?

I don't really care about the holders, either way, but can certainly UNDERSTAND how many people are distracted by the NGC holders' prongs, so prefer the PCGS holders.

I like the PCGS pronged holder better because the prongs are clear. NGC should follow soon.

James, I for one hate the white pronged holder. And I'll tell you specifically why. The un-uniformity of it all. I don't know, maybe it's just my small amount of OCD all focused on one area, but I just can't stand that there are four areas where the coin rim is broken up. At least in the older holders, the rim was uniformly obstructed. No, I don't like the fact that part of the coin is obstructed by the holder, but it is what is is.

I used to REALLY dislike the NGC pronged holders but was beginning to start liking them more, now.

I just have to start wondering what may be underneath, however. ;)

You REALLY can't understand it? Or are you just using a figure of speech and exaggerating your point?

Mark, I can understand WHY, but I can't understand HOW. Based on reason and logic, it doesn't seem rational to think the gooey PCGS are somehow preferable to the prongs.

Of course, as a certain friend mentioned in an earlier post, there's an indisputable cure for anyone who prefers neither lol !

agreed james

i think both pcgs and ngc holders many times are problematic for small coins besides not showing them off too well as with your one dollar pan pac example

these coins are really hard to make a great presentation in the holders of both pcgs and ngc and yes rarely the presentation is perfect but this is rare

re. gold dollars, half dimes, three cent silver pieces, fractional gold, etc.

i wish there could be a more exact cutting of the plastic and adjustments for smaller holdered coins where the plastic doesnot interfear with any of the coins surfaces into and beyond the rims

is there a solution?? i am sure there is (it needs to be addressed at some point) but it would be MORE costly and time consuming hence more money in the slabbing process for the services to do this with small coins

what the future holds?? i dont know but i dont have any ideas of what the logistics of slabbing verses the current cost factor for more careful and time consuming slabbing of smaller coins with a perfect holder that can adequitely hold the coin while being able to see all the surfaces and rims with little to no obstruction