• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to my proof!

16 posts in this topic

NO.jpg

I'm ready for the bad news! YAY! What in the world is happening to this so called Lincoln Proof? This isn't the only one this is happening too...and they all cam from the same source. Sorry It's blurry but it looks like when you take fire to something. It's ruined. What's going on here?

Sorry, Joe, for your loss, but could you take a little better photo and also of both sides of each of the coins affected. How were they stored? As previously asked, in what type of holder/container? Just a little more info please.

Jim

sorry about that joe

myself i think that something got on the coin during the minting process/packaging/after you received it? and it was some sort of oil/liquid contaminant that really could not be seen and this toned and changed colors while in the dansco due to atmospheric conditions

is this the 95% copper lincoln? then it really changed due to the highly reactive surfaces of 95% copper

I got a good deal from someone who had Littleton Coin Company proofs still in package. It's showing on a

1977-S

2 2009-S'

I'm beginning to wonder if they could have cleaned them with a harsh chemical. I'm super careful with my proofs and always have cottons gloves on...

I got a good deal from someone who had Littleton Coin Company proofs still in package. It's showing on a

1977-S

2 2009-S'

I'm beginning to wonder if they could have cleaned them with a harsh chemical. I'm super careful with my proofs and always have cottons gloves on...

i doubt it but anything is possible

I’ve read reports that a lot of the 2009 Lincoln series cents have grown spots and toned in fairly short order. It probably has something today with the stuff the mint used to wash the planchets before the coins were struck. There is really nothing a collector can do other than cross his fingers and take his hard knocks if the worst happens.

There is another point I’d like to make, and I don’t want to hurt people's feelings. Over the years I’ve seen many modern Proof coins go bad after the owner has taken them out of the mint holder and placed them in something like a Dansco album. The trouble is taking a Proof out of its mint holder and putting it into an album that really isn’t designed to preserve Proof coins is like putting a winter snowball in a freezer to preserve it. It usually does not work out well for the owner.

Proof cents, even the pieces that are made of sold bronze, are among the most delicate of all coins. Despite the collector’s best efforts some piece seem to go bad no matter what you do. The best you can do is keep them in the original mint case or have them slabbed; store them in a humidity controlled area at constant temperatures; and hope for the best.

1977-S

2 2009-S'

Honestly, I don't think the coins are worth enough money for a coin dealer to go through all the trouble of cleaning them. It may be from the U.S. mint.

1977-S

2 2009-S'

Honestly, I don't think the coins are worth enough money for a coin dealer to go through all the trouble of cleaning them. It may be from the U.S. mint.

Turning copper coins red again is a tricky business. How many do you know who can do it well and consistently? Most coins end up being horror shows that are only good for trying to trick novice collectors.

One these cents toned, they stay toned. "Fixing" them is not an option.

I've heard about this stuff, called Black Magic. I've never been able to locate any, and maybe it's just the name that was used by a source that was very successful at cleaning copper coins and returning them to original mint state red.

How do I know this? I had a couple of coins that were hazy but that had incredible cameo contrast. One, a 1942 cent, later made it into a pcgs 64 cam holder. The coin was incredible, had full contrast and after the treatment was an absolute stunner.

So, I know it can be done, but the person who has this stuff told me that it's not made anymore.

Has anyone else ever heard of this substance before?

Maybe the Mint is adding somekind of other alloy to "Stretch" the use of copper in some coins. I bet ya it was those guys from the left that made this call..

Sorry for your loss of monies Joe. George

Maybe the Mint is adding somekind of other alloy to "Stretch" the use of copper in some coins. I bet ya it was those guys from the left that made this call..

Sorry for your loss of monies Joe. George

I doubt it; it's probably left from the detergent used to rinse the planchets.

I have to agree with the others that have thoughts that it has to do with the planchet rinse. After seeing the pictures in this posting and reading the entire thread, it got me to wondering how many of my 2009 cents had issues such as this. So off to the safe to check a few various rolls and the cent proofs that reside in my safe.

What I had found was that apporximately 1 out of 15 cents had no form of spotting or streaks while the majority of them showed various spots/streaks/smudges. This number is a rough estimate as I did not count all of the cents I had searched. I took 5 rolls for each design out of the $25 box I had for each design to see how often I would find a cent that had spotting etc. Guess I should say I started out looking for just how many had spots, but soon after the 3rd roll I started looking just for the ones that I could not find any spots on.

As for the 2009 proof cents I have, I have not noticed any spots, streaks and/or smudges on any of them in my safe. Keep in mind I dont have too many proof cents, maybe a dozen total.

-Chris#2