• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this 1881 S Morgan a result of a polished die?

16 posts in this topic

Are the lines raised?

I can't really tell if they are raised lines or not. (shrug)

Looks like the chin portion of the obverse was struck with a rusted or pitted die.

101_0213-2.jpg101_0213-1.jpg101_0216-1-2.jpg101_0216-1-1.jpg

inverted

101_0216-1.jpg

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking those are hairlines.

EDITED TO ADD: Even if those are striations that were on the die, they are detracting to the value given the severity. As common as a 1881-S Morgan Dollar is, I wouldn't expend the money to have this certified.

I'm going to have to agree with Coinman, it's not worth the risk on an 81-S.

I agree with you guys. Think i will just tuck it away in the dansco. Appreciate you guys taking a look. (thumbs u

EDITED TO ADD: Even if those are striations that were on the die, they are detracting to the value given the severity. As common as a 1881-S Morgan Dollar is, I wouldn't expend the money to have this certified.

They look like die polish to me in the new pictures. Note how the obverse seems to be semi-prooflike. This is a characteristic look of San Fran PL's of the 1940's and 1950's.

They look like die polish to me in the new pictures. Note how the obverse seems to be semi-prooflike. This is a characteristic look of San Fran PL's of the 1940's and 1950's.

But have you ever seen this type of surface on a Morgan Dollar? I agree that there is a remote chance that the lines are die polish, but I think it is unlikely. Even if it was die polish which isn't technically considered grade limiting "damage", don't you agree that it would lessen the value of the piece?

But have you ever seen this type of surface on a Morgan Dollar? I agree that there is a remote chance that the lines are die polish, but I think it is unlikely. Even if it was die polish which isn't technically considered grade limiting "damage", don't you agree that it would lessen the value of the piece?

On a Morgan, yes, the look is uncommon and will decrease the value. On the PLs I collect, that is what makes them PL - and increases their value sharply.

Similar die polish does appear on Morgans, but not for this particular date (or if it does, I haven't seen it after thousands of coins).

That 1881-S dollar does not offer enough upside to warrant sending it in for certification. It really needs to be an MS-65 or better to rate the expense, and even an MS-65 grade would be marginal under some market conditions.

As for the marks that show at certain I believe that they were made after the coin was struck outside of the mint