• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first ever Baltimore Show report with newps!

11 posts in this topic

So yesterday was my first trip ever to the Baltimore Coin show. I was told the June show is a much smaller and slower show, but still worth going to. So I took the train down this morning and got to the center at around 10:15am. It was quiet as expected at first, but I heard there was a lot of dealer to dealer transactions going on.

I had a map printed out with my stops planned out. My first order of business was to drop off a large submission of mine and a dealer friend to PCGS. There was no wait, and it was a quick drop off. Afterwards I met up with a fellow board member who was interested in a coin I had. We agreed upon a price and finished a deal. There were a few types of coins I was hoping to find in decent condition at this show. They included an early turban $10, a chain and wreath cent with nice surfaces, and a 1793 half cent with nice surfaces and better quality early/toned type in general. Obviously in mid to lower grades that I could afford. I saw a few MS wreath cents that were gorgeous, but well out of my range. There were a lot of copper dealers at this show including Doug Bird, Tom Reynolds, Steve Ellsworth, CV McCawley, Hannigans, Tom Hyland etc. I saw many chain and wreath, but none really fit the bill. I just cant justify paying a large amount for a coin that doesnt have full detail or issues. A few of the examples I saw were those I was outbid on in Heritage! Its funny that the same coins end up with dealers with a decent sized premium.

There was one wreath cent graded PCGS VF30 I saw on a dealers website before the show that was priced at $20,000. I thought the coin was worth around $17-18000, so maybe would could strike a deal right? I went to his table and asked about the coin. It was handed to me....but had a price tag of $32,500! I told the dealer it was marked $20k on his website. He said there is no way, and I opened his site on my iphone and showed him. His response "Wow, we put it up at our cost!". He told me he would honor the price, but tomorrow it will be changed to $32,500 on their website. I passed on the coin as it was not worth his asking price, but I was surprised at the markup. Yes I know dealers have to make a profit and have to pay for travel etc etc, but that is one of the biggest mark ups I have heard of.

Dealers I met at the show that I have done business with in the past, but never met in person included: Rich Uhrich, Eugene Bruder, Laura from Legend, Dave and John from Coin Rarities Online, Robbie from The Reeded Edge and Joe Levine of Presidential auctions. It was great to finally meet some of these great people in person, and do further business with them.

Board members I saw included: Colonialcoinunion, Ponyexpress6, NJcoincrank , Joebb21, Thegeneral, and abitofthisabitofthat. Forgive me if I left you out as the day was truly a blur.

I saw a good amount of early slabbed gold of all denominations. Very few of it was CAC'd, and very few of them were problem free. I saw a good number of early $10's, but they all had some problems. Early type was around, and anything of better quality was priced very strong from what I saw. More and more coins have been through CAC, and people look for that sticker as a sense of security of reassurance when making a big purchase. Toned Morgans seemed to be everywhere with prices across the board. One of the most interesting coins I saw was a Continnental Currency in PCGS G6! I've rarely see one so worn down. It was priced at around $12,500. More than I would spend, but still a very cool piece of history that must have been a pocket piece at some point. There were overall more run of the mill coins than amazing "wow" coins. I saw some higher grade bust halves in NGC plastic that just didnt have the eye appeal to justify the price. Premiums for toned early material seemed to be sky high in some cases. I'm talking more than double sheet/PCGS guide for toned proof IHC's and early bust material. Regarding the Pattern market, from what I have heard it is completely dead right now. Might be a good buying opportunity though! Stacks had auction previews for their future auctions on display. Some truly amazing coins! Rare Coin Wholesalers were also present and showed my friend and I some amazing coins as well. Its always nice to look :D I also placed bids on a few medals from Joe Levine's exonumia auction. Many people were viewing lots and placing bids at his table. I am sure they will have another stellar auction.

Now as for my newps. I bought these coins because I either found them very appealing, they fit in my US type set, or I have always wanted one....or all of the above! :D

First is a 1869 Seated Half Dollar in PCGS AU53 with gorgeous dual sided toning from Rich Uhrich. Very pretty reds and blues from being in an album for years.

23gxowp.jpg

Second is a very crusty and original skinned 1835 Classic Head $5 in PCGS VF35. There is no word to describe this coin other than original. With all the cleaned and striped gold I saw at this show, it was nice to see an un-tampered with example.

97qntg.jpg

Third is a 1941 Proof Walker Half Dollar No AW variety in PCGS PF64 from Eugene Bruder. I dont know why this coin didnt get the cameo designation. It is just dripping with luster! I have to reshoot this one.

2daiq0g.jpg

The best for last is a 1901 $2.50 Liberty Quarter Eagle in NGC PF62 CAM CAC in an old fattie holder. I have always wanted an example of proof gold in my collection. The challenge was finding an affordable example that looked nice. This one fit the bill, and I purchased it for $100 over what it sold for in heritage last october. Thanks to New York Gold Mart for a very easy transaction!

2qslxdk.jpg

Overall it was a great show experience, and well worth the trip down. The train ride was very quick and easy. I hope to make it to future shows, as the calibur of material one can see is just spectacular!

Ankur

a 1901 $2.50 Liberty Quarter Eagle in NGC PF62 CAM CAC in an old fattie holder

:o

WOW what a great coin! My favorite of all the ones you've shown. I think that coronet gold is sadly overlooked and underrated, and I like them from any date.

Fabulous coins!

The Walker didn't get Cameo, from what I've learned, because the Sun doesn't have it. That's all I can tell from the picture. Whatever the case, you probably got it much cheaper anyways....

Love the Seated Half as well!

jom

Great Report!

I'm glad you got to go to your first Baltimore show.

The train down to Baltimore from the NYC area is a great way to go!

Very nice selections AJ. You have deeper pockets than most. :)

Sometime you should post your purchases from Legend! (thumbs u

Thus far it would be "purchase", not purchaseS. ;)

Thus far it would be "purchase", not purchaseS. ;)

See what I get for assuming! :devil:

I figured you and Laura were on a first name basis! :acclaim: