• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is that a seal on the roof?

7 posts in this topic

Yep, that's right folks it's a seal on the roof. Now how in the heck it got up there I have know idea, but there it is. There also looks as there's a slug crawling up Jefferson neck. Strange coin for sure. If ya look at this coin you can see the die has been just polished to death, probably to remove the clashing you see and more you don't. The Monticello building itself looks a little twisted and out of shape. I think this is a cool coin and one ya don't see everyday..

070-1.jpg

069-2.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The dies were severely clashed and eroded, and then they were heavily repolished to extend their utility. The coinage dated 1966 was a rush job, since it didn't commence until August of that year. The mints had been striking 1965-dated pieces up to that point.

The dies were severely clashed and eroded, and then they were heavily repolished to extend their utility. The coinage dated 1966 was a rush job, since it didn't commence until August of that year. The mints had been striking 1965-dated pieces up to that point.

Thanks for that David. I didn't know this and was wondering why they all look so bad.

One thing I've noticed about 1921 Morgan dollars is that if you look at enough of them, you can tell which mint made them based on how the dies deteriorated. Was the treatment of the dies at the mints producing the 1965-67 coinage different enough so that you can draw some of the same conclusions in some cases? Are there consistencies between differences when comparing 1968 to 1967?