• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Coronet cent Die Break, or Canceled die?

5 posts in this topic

HI I was at my local coin dealer today showing him my latest coin, and after looking at it he tells me that it is a canceled die. And he says so because the letters are still intact.With the field being broken. I have some new 1943 pennies and they have the same condition the lettering does not show the crack. So do yiou have any info about this type? I have not been able to pull anything up on the net about it. Thank you a>

• Administrator

KPARKE,

Thank you for your question. There is no 1853 cent die state that has die breaks resembling the coin you imaged, and that X pattern is unusual for die cracks. While it is hard to say for certain by looking at the photos, it is likely that these are actually two deep scratches that have caused the metal to be raised and thus appear to be a die crack. I would suggest you look at the coin under magnification to see if there is an area where the metal is recessed due to a scratch.

I did look at these, and they are scratches in the die. That explains the lines not being in the letters, although they are on some of the leaves at the bottom. so then is this a canceled die?

• Administrator

KPARKE,

Sorry if my first response wasn't clear. I meant to say that these are actually scratches on the coin, not on the die. Scratches cause metal movement, and when the scratches are particularly deep, they can cause a significant amount of metal to be moved. There is likely a deep scratch with a raised burr adjacent to it.

Mint cancellation marks are very prominent. It appears this piece was scratched, then circulated, which may obscure the scratchy-ness of these marks. If it was cancelled, the marks would be raised beyond the relief of the coin and be significantly thick.