• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with 1881 S Morgan

14 posts in this topic

The 1881-s is one of several common date Morgan Dollars, and it is readily abundant all the way through MS67. There are also a few MS68, and I believe a couple of MS69 pieces that exist. With this issue, I would demand perfection. Also note the same advice applies for 1880s, 1882s, and 1879s; they are all very common and all usually come with great strikes and luster. I would pass and move on.

With regards to the photos, your images appear deceiving, and I would be willing to bet that there are more tick marks that the photos show. As such, I will refrain from stating a grade at this time.

the obverse looks awesome, the reverse looks like it has a couple marks, i would say MS66. Like someone else mentioned, the lighting is off, it does not show any luster and may be hiding other marks

Obverse strike is weak for this issue. Might make 65 if the luster is strong but these images don't show that. This is one that needs to be evaluated in-hand. It could go as low as 64 or as high as 66.

Can you elaborate on the deceiving part? There's a slight angle on the photo as I couldn't get the tripod to take a straight down photo but that's it.

The angle of the light is conducive to hiding small ticks and other marks that may be grade limiting. It also obscures the luster. Although the coin appears MS, there could be breaks in the luster that are either from wear or an old cleaning that are not visible in the photo.

That luster and those surfaces look VERY STRANGE and WRONG to me. Unless you used lighting that COMPLETELY alters the coins surfaces (of which I have never seen like this before). It is very crisp and clean, though. It would grade MS 65 if it weren't so foreign looking and had no surface issues.

yeah, I hear you Walker. Lighting was a standing pole room light. Nothing special directed to or away from it, but it does have a diffuser around it and is open to the ceiling. Definitely not the best lighting for a coin shot. Check out my other thread where I still had the coin to take a different shot (1883 CC). First images were somewhat similar - and the second ones were better I think.

Can you elaborate on the deceiving part? There's a slight angle on the photo as I couldn't get the tripod to take a straight down photo but that's it.

Have you tried placing the tripod at the corner of a desk or table so that each of the two forward legs are along adjacent sides? This should allow you to position the camera directly over the coin.

Another option is to use a rectangular coffee table if you have a zoom lens. Since the table is usually only 16"-18" high, you can use the telescoping function of the legs to make the two forward legs the shortest possible length so they can rest on the tabletop and adjust the rear leg to rest on the floor. You can use the built-in level on the tripod to ensure that the setup is perpendicular to the subject.

Chris

Very nice coin!! Very few dings. The only issue i have is that brownish smudges on both sides.

Not often you get a clean cheek on a Morgan. Unless I could see the field's luster, I cant say what grade it might fetch. What you gotta try is to capture the cartwheel shine. Then you can see if the fields have that nice brushed silver look.

Update = Oh DUH.. i see that you got it graded. Wow, only a 64? Thats rough.