• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish every coin were as big and easy to photograph...

11 posts in this topic

...as the new ATB 5 oz coins.

I'm working on photographing my entire collection, started with these and wanted to share the results. =)

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/Coins/CoinDetail.aspx?PeopleCoinID=752939&PeopleSetID=126050

I used a Canon 7D with a EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens (for all the photography nerds out there).

I like the lighting and I like the matting that goes along with your presentation. I also like the slab insert. I didn't know they were doing that with these.... whatever they are! I wish they would do that with all coins.

Well, there's something to be said for these giant silver plates - the prong holders don't hardly even cover the rim, not to mention any of the rest of the coin. We've finally found a "coin" that's perfect for the ugly prongs!

Actually, one thing I found difficult about these was the fact that the large satin finish brings out any unevenness in the lighting. The reverse periphery is very difficult to light evenly, as one would tend to want, while not compromising the depth of the design, as an axial lighting strategy would.

Congrats on the photos. Should you need photo tips, you can PM me anytime. I will answer as many questions as I can.

P.S. Since you are a photo nerd... I am using the 1D Mark III, with a 24-105 F2.8 lens or a 50mm 1.4 lens