• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889 Liberty Eagle

12 posts in this topic

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1156&lotNo=9431&lotIdNo=5010

I was surprised at the grade because detail wise it appeared to me to be a much higher grade. The current bid is closer to a 55 or 58 grade. Those bids got me curious and that's why I asked for opinions. Net graded for cleaning?

Thanks for the replies.

1889-ogh.jpg

1889OGH-rev.jpg

So what you have is an AU+ coin, but net graded only XF-45. That is a pretty good confirmation of the several "cleaned" opinions. In recent years, the cleaning would have been ignored and the coin put into an AU holder, but it looks like PCGS thought the coin was cleaned, and took 10 points off. So, AU-55 minus 10 points for the cleaning = net XF-45.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1156&lotNo=9431&lotIdNo=5010

I was surprised at the grade because detail wise it appeared to me to be a much higher grade. The current bid is closer to a 55 or 58 grade. Those bids got me curious and that's why I asked for opinions. Net graded for cleaning?

Thanks for the replies.

1889-ogh.jpg

1889OGH-rev.jpg

This just sold for $2760.00. That's MS money. Does anyone have any ideas why it would have sold for that?

When there arent any around and you have a couple people needing it for their sets, it is what happens. Only 4400 minted, and almost none around that are graded. It is what happens at auction.

It is

1. Undergraded

2. Rare (mintage)

3. In an OGH

Old Green Holders (OGH) typically demand a premium over the coin's actual value. I've seen a PCGS morgan sell for less than $150 while an example with the same date, grade, and characteristics sell for over $260, just because it was in a green PCGS holder.