• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is:

12 posts in this topic

Miss Gertrude K. Lathrop?

Miss-Gertrude_K_Lathrop.jpg

I know, Goggle is your best friend, lol, cheaters. ;)

I knew what she did but not which, so I googled to find out. As such I will not post more details and leave it to others.

Miss Lathrop invented the “Helicopter Bonnet” which she is shown wearing in the photo. The device attached to a woman’s hat and the blades spun around in the wind. This generated enough lift to allow the wearer to fly into the air and visit friends across the vast distances of the US prairies.

Miss Lathrop’s invention was bought by Dementia Wright, the evil twin brother of Orville and Wilbur Wright. Dementia suppressed the invention so that his brothers could continue their aeroplane experiments.

…or so it says on the land of wikidoodles.

Conserve Wildlife

Gertrude K. Lathrop

Born: Albany, New York 1896

Died: 1986

Medallic Art Company (Founder)

Society of Medallic Arts (Commissioner)

bronze

2 7/8 in. (7.3 cm) diam.

Smithsonian American Art Museum

Gift of the heirs of Albert Laessle: Mrs. Albertine de Bempt Laessle, Mr. Albert M. Laessle and Mr. Paul Laessle

Smithsonian American Art Museum

4th Floor, Luce Foundation Center

Good One RWB. :)

Albany.jpg

Courtesy of The San Diego Collection

The designs for the Albany Charter half dollar were approved by the Fine Arts Commission in September, 1936. Miss Gertrude K. Lathrop, of Albany, the designer of the coin, prepared this statement which gives readers some idea of the great amount of preparation necessary in this class of work if the designs are to be historically accurate. Miss Lathrop writes as follows:

“The Albany commemorative half dollar marks the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the granting of the charter to Albany, N. Y. As Albany is the second oldest chartered city in the United States, I studied its history with a great deal of interest, and spent quite a little time at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the New York Historical Society, the Museum of the city of New York, and the Smithsonian Institution studying the costumes of the settlers in the year 1686 and conferring with authorities.

On the reverse of the coin I have shown Pieter Schuyler, one of the commissaries, who was soon to become Albany’s first mayor, with Robert Livingston, secretary, taking leave of Governor Thomas Dongan in New York. On July 22, 1686, Dongan signed the charter which was drawn up during the two weeks’ stay of Schuyler and Livingston. Schuyler is shown holding the charter. The original document was taken from the safe in the manuscripts room of the New York State Library for measurement and study during the making of the design. I found very little material about the personal appearance of these three men. My portrayal of the two young gentlemen from Albany are based upon a portrait of each, painted fully thirty years their historic trip; and that of Dongan, upon a brief description of the “stalwart and soldierly” Irishman who came from England to be Governor. There is no authentic portrait of him.

Beavers were very plentiful in the vicinity of Albany at that time. The community’s wealth and prosperity can be traced to this fact, as trade in beaver pelts was the main industry of the settlers. The beaver was used on the early seals of the city, and is also on the present seal. Although beavers were nearly exterminated in New York State a short time ago, the Conservation Department managed, by protection and careful transplanting of communities of the animals, to increase their number. It was through the kindness of this department that I was able to have a live beaver at my study for a few days to pose for the model of the obverse. It is occasional contact with such interesting and friendly citizens of the wild that adds spice to one’s work. The maple branch is used with the beaver because the maple is the New York State tree, and the introduction of maple keys on this side, and pine cones on the reverse is symbolic of the growth and fertility of the community.”

GERTRUDE K. LATHROP.

copyright-symbol-300x300D.jpg

Miss Lathrop invented the “Helicopter Bonnet” which she is shown wearing in the photo. The device attached to a woman’s hat and the blades spun around in the wind. This generated enough lift to allow the wearer to fly into the air and visit friends across the vast distances of the US prairies.

Miss Lathrop’s invention was bought by Dementia Wright, the evil twin brother of Orville and Wilbur Wright. Dementia suppressed the invention so that his brothers could continue their aeroplane experiments.

…or so it says on the land of wikidoodles.

Wow-- you learn something new every day. :insane:

Medallic Art Company (Founder)

Huh?

What about the Weil brothers....also, not many people start companies at age 12.

My earlier post mentioned her as the designer of the Albany Half Dollar.

In commemoration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the granting of a charter to the City of Albany, New York, a souvenir half-dollar was authorized by Congress in 1936. In 1686, Governor Thomas Dongan of New York, granted to Albany a city charter, on of the earliest granted in New York State. The first Mayor of Albany was appointed by the governor, and this issue portrays the first Mayor, Peter Schuyler and his companion Robert Livingston, secretary, after having received the signed charter from the Governor.

46137_Goldbergs_Albany_Card.jpg

Courtesy of Ira & Larry Goldberg.

copyright-symbol-300x300D.jpg