• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: 1890-O Morgan Dollar

20 posts in this topic

What would you grade the following coin? Please identify any limiting factors (e.g. strike, luster, surfaces, toning, etc.). If you know where the coin came from, please do not cheat! ;) I am trying to determine whether or not to cross this coin to PCGS/NGC or leave it in its first generation ANACS holder. Any opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Consignments38023.jpg

Consignments38024.jpg

NGC is being EXTREMELY picky right now. With that scratch on the reverse, it'll probably end up in a details holder. Otherwise, I'd guess MS61/62 citing said scratch, spot on rev wing, worn breast rev, worn hairlines obv (above ear and brow). Love the toning though.

NGC is being EXTREMELY picky right now. With that scratch on the reverse, it'll probably end up in a details holder. Otherwise, I'd guess MS61/62 citing said scratch, spot on rev wing, worn breast rev, worn hairlines obv (above ear and brow). Love the toning though.

Morgan’s from the Orleans mint are often softly struck on the hair line and breast feathers . Sure NGC is picky but then maybe the reason so many of your coins wind up in a details holder is because they deserve to be.

Morgan’s from the Orleans mint are often softly struck on the hair line and breast feathers . Sure NGC is picky but then maybe the reason so many of your coins wind up in a details holder is because they deserve to be.

There you go again. The thread is to comment on the coin, not MY previous submissions to NGC. I have had a total of 5 out of about 150 submissions in the last year come back details. And three were in my last shipment. Once again, I encourage you to move out of your parent's basement, and grow up.

A solid MS-64, maybe + or 64.

And the mark on the reverse is NOT a scratch IMO, but rather a die gouge or die crack.

And just because your coins end up in bags it doesn't mean NGC is picky.

When a submission goes awry, the submitters lack of grading skills is usually the culprit.

There you go again. The thread is to comment on the coin, not MY previous submissions to NGC. I have had a total of 5 out of about 150 submissions in the last year come back details. And three were in my last shipment. Once again, I encourage you to move out of your parent's basement, and grow up.

I was just making a valid point , you say NGC is picky however the real issue here are your grading skills. I am pretty sure most people on this forum would agree with me. 5 out of 150 submissions came back as details ?? Based on what I have seen that number is probably more like 50 .

I was just making a valid point , you say NGC is picky however the real issue here are your grading skills. I am pretty sure most people on this forum would agree with me. 5 out of 150 submissions came back as details ?? Based on what I have seen that number is probably more like 50 .

You're right, Mark. You are so in tune with my portfolio. Regardless, in the end, it doesn't matter. I'm a collector and not a dealer. I buy coins because I like them, not for resale. When I pass and leave my enormous amount of "details" coins (as you so graciously put) to my kids, I'll rest easy knowing that they'll still be secure.

You're right, Mark. You are so in tune with my portfolio. Regardless, in the end, it doesn't matter. I'm a collector and not a dealer. I buy coins because I like them, not for resale. When I pass and leave my enormous amount of "details" coins (as you so graciously put) to my kids, I'll rest easy knowing that they'll still be secure.

I just call it like I see it. Are you that insecure that you always need to reiterate how wealthy you think you are ??

If you say the coin is worn, then why on earth would you grade it MS-61 or 62? I think you should probably get a grading guide, or read my series on grading.

In other news, I grade the OP's coin an MS-64. I don't like the spot on the feathers, and the luster looks weak.

No higher than MS64, possibly MS63. The coin is very clean (MS65) but her strike is weak. The hair above the ear and forehead have little to no definition.

The eagles breast feathers show very little strike. The date numbers are better than expected with regards to strike. They look crisper than other O's in which they are rounded. But she sure is clean and that is what most see first. Good luck..

Chet

For me, it is MS-64 tops. From MS-65, the flat strike deducts 1/2 point, and so does the scratch on the cheek, for a total of 1 point.

Thanks everyone. I bought this coin because I thought it had relatively clean surfaces for the grade (MS64). While I noticed the weaker strike, I was curious if the TPGs were more forgiving on New Orleans minted coins. Thanks for the useful advice; I will probably leave this in its old ANACS holder.

For me, it is MS-64 tops. From MS-65, the flat strike deducts 1/2 point, and so does the scratch on the cheek, for a total of 1 point.

Thanks everyone. I bought this coin because I thought it had relatively clean surfaces for the grade (MS64). While I noticed the weaker strike, I was curious if the TPGs were more forgiving on New Orleans minted coins. Thanks for the useful advice; I will probably leave this in its old ANACS holder.

I think it is more valid to believe that grading services are more forgiving of weaker strikes for scarcer coins, not necessarily for New Orleans dollars. For that matter, as someone else alluded to, I think they tend to be 1/2 point conservative on the really common "O"s, rounding down when the strike is weak. Otherwise, we'd have millions of common 1885-O and 1904-O dollars in MS-65 with weak strikes doh! !