• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1927 Saint Previously in PCGS MS61 OGH

18 posts in this topic

This 1927 Saint was cracked out of a PCGS MS61 OGH and submitted to NGC just prior to the introduction of the prong style holders (late 2008).

The coin was subsequently submitted to CAC and received a sticker.

Guess the grade assigned by NGC…

PCGS MS61 OGH

Coin_226s2o_sm1.jpgCoin_226s2r_sm1.jpg

Coin_226o6_b_cropped_sm1.jpgCoin_226r6_c_cropped_sm1.jpg

Coin_226s9o_a_sm-no-label.jpgCoin_226s9r_a_sm.jpg

***NGC Grade on Page 2***

I'll go with MS63 at the highest. My guess is based on the two contact marks on the obverse in the fields plus the contacts on her chest area along with the numerous contacts throughout the wings and body of the eagle plus the half moon scrape or scratch on the sun thats on the reverse.

-Chris#2

Added after posting:

Of course, with that scratch or scrape on the back, it could come back UNC Details with the way NGC has been lately. Been seeing alot coming back that way even at one of the stores locally that I frequently visit.

I think it would be a 62. If there is above average luster then 63. I don't think PCGS would have given a 61 for no reason, so I would think that the luster is not good enough for a 63 but would need to see in hand first....

I'd think PCGS gave a 61 due to lack luster OR hairlines somewhere. Are there hairlines you can't see? If not MS63

On the other hand is that RUB on the knee I see or is that a photo anomaly? Could this be a hidden 58 albeit a nice one?

It's hard to grade by photo...I dunno....MS63 or AU58. (shrug)

jom

Thanks for all of the opinions and comments.

I purchased the 1927 $20 PCGS MS61 OGH many years ago from a well-known gold dealer. He also had a group of 1927 Saints in MS63 that I compared it to. This MS61 has gorgeous reddish natural toning, and was head-and-shoulders better than the other higher graded coins in terms of eye appeal.

Surprisingly, after cracking it out and submitting it to NGC, it came back as AU58! And I lost the appeal of the OGH. I may resubmit next time I renew my Collectors Society Membership.

Coin_226s2o_sm1.jpgCoin_226s2r_sm1.jpg

Coin_226s9o_a_sm.jpgCoin_226s9r_a_sm.jpg

Unfortunately, thats a chance you take when removing coins from older holders for resubmission. One thing I noticed after my first posting about this coin is that it looks like a faint finger print on the right side of the obverse. I'm sure that the graders may of noticed that along with all the minor contact marks that appear front and rear of the coin.

Dont get me wrong its a beautiful coin reguardless and even at the AU58 graded slab its still a coin that most people would love to own just because it really is a very nice looking coin.

-Chris#2

Dang, that really sucks! :(

Jom called it right.

Sure fooled me (and most everyone) but as was stated; you can only see or tell so much from a picture.

That's why I don't crack-out. I only crossover or regrade.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to guess prior to the answer being posted. The obverse looks MS-63, but I would have been a bit suspicious of the reverse. That's where the rub appears, on the eagle's breast.

Today, many of the undergraded and liner coins have already been cracked out of older holders. Thus, the proportion of overgraded coins in OGHs has risen dramatically, which is why the term is often seen as derogatory today ("OGH" = "OverGraded Holder").

I recently saw an expensive, high-grade large cent that had impact damage in an OGH. And the same is true of no-line NGC holders, too. It's difficult to find undergraded pieces because they've already been cracked out and moved into higher graded holders.