• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin World cover story! (6/6 issue, available today)

19 posts in this topic

I'm absolutely elated to say that the next Coin World's cover story is one written by me. Beth (the editor of Coin World) decided to title it, "The Power of 3's", a story about the three cent denomination. I've written several articles for Coin World but getting the cover is a first for me. All unattributed photographs in the article are my own (which I guess could be good or bad).

I would like to hear your candid thoughts on the article. Don't be afraid to take me to task...in fact, go for it!

This article has one of the longest bibliographical lists I've ever compiled for any article/report I've done. It was a lot of work to correlate and dovetail the history (as best I could, although there are a couple spots where I couldn't find a decent way to segue as well as I would have liked) into one cohesive story about the 3-cent denomination.

Also, feel free to give me some ideas you'd like to see for a future article. I have to admit that I'm a little berift of ideas at the moment and Beth asked me to come up with some other article ideas. I usually don't like treading over the same old stuff, but I'd at least like to put a different spin on it.

Other articles I've done in the past have been: Early Proofs (a 3-part series with whom I shared the byline with Mike Norse of Alaska Coin Exchange), Early Proofs (reprise for Coin Values), Collecting Three Cent Nickels, and Foreign Coins Circulating in the U.S.

I hope you enjoy the article. I learned a LOT by writing it!

Way to go! Beth does not put articles on the front page without a lot of thought going into the decision.

Congratulations Prethen! I'll read it next week and get back here with comments.

Do you cover 3 cent nickels and silvers?

bruce!!

i see you got a headline/lead article in the monthly expanded coin world

for june!?!

wow that is incredibly great

i am really looking forward to reading that article

beth is extremely picky and demanding and rightly so

i bet you will do her proud and i hope this is a new beginning for you as a writer and maybe?/ even a book deal in the works in future years!!

congrats

FishyOne - Yes, all 3-cent denominations are covered...more than just the coins.

ArizonaDesertRat - I'll PM you with the references in the next day or so.

I appreciate everyone's sentiments and look forward to hearing your thoughts, questions, disagreements, whatever, after you've had a chance to read it.

I actually do have a book idea bantering around my head for quite awhile (with a little bit of research already done). I'll leave it at that for now, though. I have some legwork to do before I can tell if I'll be able to make it real.

I'd very much like to read your article, Prethen. I'm not a subscriber, but perhaps it will show up on line somewhere after publication.

BRUCE! Great article man. Well written and very informitave. I'm kinda new to collecting, so this was a very fun read for me. Thank you.

just read it today and it was excellent!

and also (as i already have known) extremely well written, the photos were outstanding and the overall presentation SUPERB

COIN WORLD did good by you bruce beth put the article and photos along with charts and graphs together in a MOST excellent, easy to read presentation

Thanks again everyone. I'm still looking for more article ideas. So far I have only one that I'm seriously considering is an overview of the Large Cent series (which I might have to post a new thread on for a call out to EAC members for various private questions/interview). If you have an idea that you think would be interesting to a relatively broad audience and/or hasn't been covered in detail (at least recently) in Coin World, please PM me. I'm always up to a bit of a challenge and not adverse to doing a bit of research as long as it's not too narrow (gotta think of that audience).

There were two corrections that should be made to the article. First, some basic math was a bit off....the difference between the legislation of the three cent silver and nickel coins was 14 years, not 24! Second, Coin World used a different picture and caption for the 1889 3CN and noted that it was (incorrectly) a Proof only year.

well small printing and transscription errors

happens all the time

no big deal

make sure beth posts a correction in the next monthly issue