• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help from the photo pros!

50 posts in this topic

Ok, so this is what this coin looks like. Great color, actually there's a bit more blue in the fields than shown in the picture, and the coin has some really great mirrors and is very much PL. So, the color is about right, the mirrors show, but that darn glare is killing me! Any ideas?

_MG_6403_1.jpg

Try higher angle lighting. Appears your lighting is at a sharp angle to the coin slab...producing the glare. I'd adjust the White Balance on the Camera for the type of bulb being used.

OK, in all seriousness, I would start by diffusing the light. The quickest way to do that is to have a sheet of thin white paper between the light sources and the slab. You may have to increase the intensity of the light (but don't burn the paper!) because diffusion will lessen it's illumination.

Also, you'll likely have to adjust white balance a little, since the white paper will change the spectrum of the illumination.

I've used paper before, but didn't think about using it on this one.

Lab, as for the white balance, it's right on, but I'll try more drastic lighting angles.

Coindude - the best thing to do with a prooflike coin, especially a Bust Half, is to send it to me.

If you really don't want to do that - treat it as a proof coin. Photo it just like you would photo a proof half dollar, and you should be alright.

Jason, I'm well versed in proof coinage, and believe me, this one will not take a straight shot like a normal proof. The fields are too filled with toning and the coin just looks ugly from a straight on aspect.

And yes, I have another of Martins coins that shows some prooflikeness, but not as well as this one. This one you would love, but alas, x2rider loves his CBH's!

Here is how it is done....

Needed items

2 Dr Pepper's Full

1 Piece of glass (From Wal-mart)

1 Desk Lamp (OTT works for me

1 Tripod

OK so you are liking thinking WTF why a piece of glass, and WTF Dr Peppers?

The Glass needs to be from a frame, and clean. This will be used to bounce the light off.

Set the glass at a 45 degree angle, but since you cannot hold it, use the 2 dr pepper's to hold the glass in place... plus a slab or 2 for the lower part.. When you angle your light you want it to bounce off the glass and onto the coin.... Light -----> \ (glass) then down to the coin. By doing this you get the required effect!

95slab.jpg

I might have to ship this one to Bruce to see what he can do! Anyone else wanna give some input?

Send it my way.. Looks like a bear of a coin to photo, but fun none the less.

The first thing you're going to have to do is polish the scratches out of the slab.

The axial lighting setup will work well provided the light source is diffuse (an Ott light is large enough to be diffuse, but a halogen spot isn't), otherwise you'll get uneven glare on the slab.

Another approach that may work well is tri-folding a piece of paper and surrounding the coin with it, almost making a tube through which you're shooting it. Then aim your lights at the paper. You'll need a longer exposure for this, so make sure the camera is very stable.

I'll give it a shot if you want.

The first thing you're going to have to do is polish the scratches out of the slab.

The axial lighting setup will work well provided the light source is diffuse (an Ott light is large enough to be diffuse, but a halogen spot isn't), otherwise you'll get uneven glare on the slab.

Another approach that may work well is tri-folding a piece of paper and surrounding the coin with it, almost making a tube through which you're shooting it. Then aim your lights at the paper. You'll need a longer exposure for this, so make sure the camera is very stable.

I'll give it a shot if you want.

HA! If you are thinking this could be the genesis of another Photo Cointest, count me in too!

I would have to get permission from the owner, and I would have to limit it.... Let me think on that and let me talk with the owner.

I kinda have the go ahead for this one. But, I would like to hold this down to say 5 guys. I'm sure we would get ten people involved, but I want to keep the number down. PM me with your interest and we'll see what we can do.

Looks like you got 5 people,

MessyDesk

Me

James

Robec

and Physics

Even though I haven't heard from him, I'm going to add Keigwin to this list, and maybe even Buffalo Joe if he wants in. They both do incredible work and I'll be contacting them today. PM me with your addresses again so I can work on the logistics.