• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's the weekend. Post a half dollar.

84 posts in this topic

This is one of the more common 1807 Capped Bust varieties, the "50 over 20." The "20" resulted because the "5" was first punched in upside down. I bought this because it is an example of John Reich's earliest work after he was hired at the U.S. mint.

1807CapHalfDollarO.jpg1807CapHalfDollarR.jpg

This is definitely an awesome thread!

This is most of the half dollar portion of my type set as of right now.

IMG_0232a.jpgIMG_0231a.jpg

Ex Rexcat (Photos by Rexcat)

1942halfobv.jpg1942halfrev.jpg

IMG_2820a.jpgIMG_2821a.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

Bug, that walker is oh so close to cameo! Gotta love it.

What do you mean, "close to cameo?" For a fair price I'd buy that one as a cameo in a New York minute.

What do you mean, "close to cameo?" For a fair price I'd buy that one as a cameo in a New York minute.

I had a thread about this a bit ago. That coin probably didn't get the designation because the sun wasn't cameo. However, as noted in that thread many that ARE graded cameo aren't even close to this piece...

jom

I had a thread about this a bit ago. That coin probably didn't get the designation because the sun wasn't cameo. However, as noted in that thread many that ARE graded cameo aren't even close to this piece...

jom

Last I saw, there weren't many Walkers graded Cameo, Period.

EDITED TO ADD: I always liked Rexcat's one. It's a Beaut. Congrats on purchasing it Bugman!!! :applause:

jom

They are rare proofs 4 sure! :)

No...there weren't many at all. At PCGS there have been 7 Walkers graded Cameo...interestingly NO Washington quarter have.

jom

Also, as of right now, NGC has certified a total of five Walking Liberty halves as Cameo: two 1938s, and three 1942s.

For obvious reasons I kept track of the number of Cameo Walkers, and interestingly enough the 1942's went from 1 to 3 in less than a year, several years ago. Given that they are right next to each other in grade I am guessing that someone was trying to upgrade their coin, so I strongly suspect we're realistically talking only 1 NGC 1942 cameo Walker, not 3. In any case, even if all of them exist, assuming I can add properly, 5 (NGC) plus 7 (PCGS) equals 12... out of roughly 75,000 proofs minted, and that number hasn't changed in at least 4 years from what I can remember.

1938PRWalkobv_006.jpg

1938PRWalkrev_001.jpg

Thanks for the comments on my proof Walker guys :)

I paid a slight premium for it but it was well worth it in my eyes. (thumbs u