• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1938-D Buffalo Nickel MS-67. Will it receive a + ?

9 posts in this topic

I've owned this coin for many, many years. Most all that see this coin in hand comment on the condition , luster and color. The coin is hammered & free of blemishes. I have always thought this coin was special. So I was thinking of sending it back for an up-grade or a + just to see if I'm right or wrong.

I sure would like to hear some comments on this Buff. Should I send it in, or do ya think I'm just waisting my time and money. Thanks for any help....Joe

019-6.jpg

016-1.jpg

I see a contact mark in the left obverse field that is significant enough to preclude a + grade. Nevertheless, I think the coin is solid for the grade and would sticker at CAC.

I have to agree with coinman23885 , in that the mark on the obverse is significant enough to preclude it from receiving a + designation. Overall though, it's a fantastic looking example and adding a CAC grade confirmation will certainly add interest in marketplace, but perhaps it may bring some added value as well.

I see a contact mark in the left obverse field that is significant enough to preclude a + grade. Nevertheless, I think the coin is solid for the grade and would sticker at CAC.
I don't think that mark would/should preclude a plus grade if the coin is otherwise all there. That said, trying to grade to a half point's accuracy from images is generally an exercise in folly and futility.

" I was thinking of sending it back for an up-grade or a + just to see if I'm right or wrong."

A grading service doesn't necessarily tell a submitter if he or she is "right" or "wrong", but rather, whether they have a different opinion.

The coin looks gorgeous and superb, and should be able to sell itself

From the photos, I cannot tell if this is a contact mark or what, and I think this coin could very well receive a +, but not being a grader it is all about how the coin looks inhand and not via a photo. If you have the funds, go for it, what can it hurt. If not a contact mark and it went 68---wow what an upgrade! Then, that's my opinion.

Jim

Is the mark raised? hm

Looks like it to my old eyes.

I think I need to get some new glasses, I'm pretty sure about that. And it's silly for me to have posted this coin with this question, I can see that now even with the bad glasses. It's not even possible to grade a coin by images and I'm asking about a + as Mark has pointed out is ridiculous and he is absolutely right.......Joe