• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hypothetical situation. you have a slabbed coin that you desire to send in for a

11 posts in this topic

...CAC sticker. the problem is the slab has become scuffed/scratched over

time. should you first send the coin back to the TPG for re-slabbing or is this

something that CAC would/could do for the collector. i don't think it would be

wise to submit scuffed, imo. just curious. thanks for your thoughts. :popcorn:

CAC has nothing to do with reholdering. If you wanted a scuffed up slad renewed or refreshed, it would have to be sent to the TPGS whose slab that it resides it. I wouldn't do it unless it was quite bad.

Hmmmm...hypothetically, I would do none of the above; I see no reason to add a "pretty green sticker" to a holder for which I have already paid through the nose.

If the plastic is scuffed, there are polishing materials to fix that.

:)

I am not aware of any service that CAC offers in conjunction with any TPG. No doubt a seriously scuffed up slab would make it harder on any CAC evaluation and this might make CAC a bit more cautious with the coin in question, but I imagine this is all handled on a coin-by-coin basis.

If 1) you're unhappy with the current holder and 2) you plan to submit the coin to CAC, you should get it re-holdered or polished first.

As Tom said, CAC doesn't have anything to do with re-holdering and if the holder is badly scuffed, they might err on the side of caution when evaluating the coin.

Ditto TomB & Mark. I had just the reverse situation, where the coin I purchased has a CAC Approved Bean on a holder that is badly scratched. If I sent the coin for a re-holder, I would also have to incur the expense of re-submitting to CAC again. Right now, that option is not justified. So I use some scratch remover, and it worked just fine. BTW, the coin is in an OGH, which many times will bring a premium on that aspect alone.

Here's how I would handle this CAC non-sense. If you are going to keep the coin do you really need this sticker to make yourself FEEL better about the coin? If so, there is something wrong (but I'll save that for another discussion). Otherwise, don't bother with the sticker. That way it won't matter if you decide to put the coin into new plastic...something I would consider if you like photographing your coins (it is a MAJOR pain to photo scratched slabs)...as an example. You can re-slab as much as you want.

Then...when you decide you want to sell the coin go ahead and have it CAC put their blessing on it...

jom

You can use slab renew or plastx or something similar. PCGS slabs are much much easier to remove scratches from than NGC. I've tried and tried and NGC slabs just give headaches.

You can use slab renew or plastx or something similar. PCGS slabs are much much easier to remove scratches from than NGC. I've tried and tried and NGC slabs just give headaches.

Which is just as well since, in my experience, NGC holders are harder to scratch...or at least not as bad. Which may have something to do with the NGC holders being tougher to fix....

jom

send it in yourself for a reholder and/or they can do it for you at a major show if you get it into them early enough and pay their price

good luck

definately do this before you send into cac