• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thick Planchet Coins. How does it happen at the Mint?

11 posts in this topic

I recently picked up this little beauty:may166.jpg

I've always been intrigued by these. How are these minted? Are they generally struck on planchets dedicated to another coin or are the planchets rolled incorrectly?

Any information is appreciated. I believe a nickel should be 5.0 grams and this one is 5.7

Simple answer is the strip supplier didn't roll the strip quite thin enough. In order for the punched blanks to end up at 5.7 grams the strip would have to be 8 thousandths of a inch too thick. In reality though the strip was less than that out of spec since the weight tolerance on the five cent piece is +/- .194 grams. A 5.7 gram five cent piece is only .006 inches too thick.

Simple answer is the strip supplier didn't roll the strip quite thin enough. In order for the punched blanks to end up at 5.7 grams the strip would have to be 8 thousandths of a inch too thick. In reality though the strip was less than that out of spec since the weight tolerance on the five cent piece is +/- .194 grams. A 5.7 gram five cent piece is only .006 inches too thick.

I guess the mystery then is what collector/dealer had the time to weigh these coins to determine which was off a little?

I guess the mystery then is what collector/dealer had the time to weigh these coins to determine which was off a little?

Great question. If I got one of these in change, I doubt very much that I would even notice that the weight is a little off.

Coin collecting is a common hobby amongst OCD patients, lol. That's the only explanation I can come up with for someone to notice something that small. lol

If you weigh individual, newly made coins, you will likely find a considerable range of weights

I would guess start or end of strip

how is the strike on that thick planchett?

I have always felt hat slightly heavy or thicker planchetts should have excellent strikes - but yours only graded MS63

luster issues? nicks easily seen in pic?

or is die in the point of its life were the flow lines are not showing blazing luster?

In reality though the strip was less than that out of spec since the weight tolerance on the five cent piece is +/- .194 grams. A 5.7 gram five cent piece is only .006 inches too thick.

I can tell you that my coin looks alot thicker than .006. My coin almost fills the whole slab.