• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blast white Morgans!

11 posts in this topic

So, I read this statement the other day and I was wondering if it was true.

" Most "blast white" Morgan Dollars from the 1800s have been dipped to carefully remove the microscopic layer of tarnish"

I saw the same post and think the proper word should be "some", not most.

Just look at GSA's. Although they were sorted according to a certain criteria, "most" of those were "blast white" and were never dipped.

Chet

I think replacing the word "most" with "many" would take quite a bit of the debate out of the statement.

It was my understanding that most blast white Morgans were not dipped. Many were removed from a safe in the 60's thus, bringing many, "untouched" MS Morgans to the market.

It was my understanding that most blast white Morgans were not dipped. Many were removed from a safe in the 60's thus, bringing many, "untouched" MS Morgans to the market.

It was the re-release of the Morgans in 64 from the vaults of the U.S. Mint and Federal Reserve, and yes that is true to some extent.

Because of the unpopularity of silver dollars since the Morgans first minting in 1878, the Mint had been stockpiling them in their vault because they were receiving them back from banks, who in turn would receive them back from the public.

Q. David Bowers Red Book from Whitman Publishing; A Guide Book to Morgan Silver Dollars is a great read on the Morgans and tells all about the history of the Morgan.

Most of the Morgan dollars mintage never left mint custody. Over time, millions were rebagged and millions more were put into boxes and returned to storage. Untoned coins were common; the GSA release confirms that.

So, I read this statement the other day and I was wondering if it was true.

" Most "blast white" Morgan Dollars from the 1800s have been dipped to carefully remove the microscopic layer of tarnish"

FALSE, for precisely the reason that RWB explains above.

There are far more original undipped blast-white Morgan dollars that dipped ones, which is hard to believe but true. From personal experience, I can't tell you how many tubes and rolls of blast white coins I've looked at, all original coins, put away decades ago.

And today a number of those very same coins are being dipped in liver of sulfur and such to re-impart said layer of tarnish, because we're market grading, now, and eye appeal is our grading standard, now. Call that travesty simply a self-inflicted wound of market grading...

A bank teller fried of mine said that an individual came in to cash A $20 roll of morgans in a old paper roll. Of course he gave him the $20, then turned around and sold it to me for $350. All UNC 1921 silver dollars, all blast white except for the two end coins. So I also disagree with the statement that most of them had been dipped.

False, although I would say that most, if not all, silver coins of any other type from the 1800s that are blast white have been dipped.