• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions For Former Graders

10 posts in this topic

Hopefully some find this educational.

1) What % of the time do all 3 graders agree on the coin's grade?

2) What % of the time do all 3 graders have 3 different opinions on the coins grade?

3) If all 3 graders agree, does the finalizer have the power to overrule?

4) Is a coin more likely to receive an attribution (e.g. *, FBL, FT, etc) if sent in specifically for attribution than if send in for normal grading?

5) Is there a special process to follow before making a coin top-pop?

6) Do graders get reprimanded for misgrades, or for people sending their coins in for regrades?

2) What % of the time do all 3 graders have 3 different opinions on the coins grade?

4) Is a coin more likely to receive an attribution (e.g. *, FBL, FT, etc) if sent in specifically for attribution than if send in for normal grading?

6) Do graders get reprimanded for misgrades, or for people sending their coins in for regrades?

I'll take a guess before all of the qualified posters step in. :)

1. 75%

2. 5%

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. No.

6. No

I can only provide gut-feel guesses, based on my own experiences (and memory) from 1991-1998, without the benefit of actual statistics/records........

1) 50%

2) Negligible, less than 2%, perhaps less than 1%.

3) Often, if not usually, the finalizer was one of the three graders.

4) FT and * designations were not yet in use when I was a grader. However, I believe that other designations such as "FB", "FH", "PL", etc. were as likely to be awarded, regardless of whether the coins were submitted specifically for the designation. So no.

5) No.

6) There were occasional lectures, some accompanied by lashes from a whip, but others, not. ;)

1) What % of the time do all 3 graders agree on the coin's grade

50%. Marks answer

I find it especially interesting that the 3 only agree about 50% of the time.

1) What % of the time do all 3 graders agree on the coin's grade

50%. Marks answer

I find it especially interesting that the 3 only agree about 50% of the time.

That's just a guess on my part, as far as an average. There are a number of coin types and grades which are far more likely to be agreed upon, unanimously, by three graders. And others, for which the % would be considerably less.

There are probably internal records which would provide very specific information/answers.