• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a Nice Liberty Double Eagle

14 posts in this topic

The title of this thread generally says it all with respect to the subject coin. I don’t collect gold, but I will put away modern US $5 gold commems of the designs that I like as well as Liberty eagles and double eagles as a form of precious metals investment or diversification. The modern US $5 gold commems can often be purchased for bullion value whereas Liberty eagles and double eagles carry a numismatic premium. This numismatic premium keeps me away from most mint state examples and means that I acquire thick skinned, circulated coins. However, there are instances where even an attractive, mint state coin can be found for little more than bullion and that happened for me a while ago with the present coin.

This coin is not a key or better date and in fact is the ultra-common 1904 Liberty double eagle. It is also not an example of some prohibitively high grade specimen and is only in a PCGS MS63 rattler holder. Lastly, it is not wildly toned, but rather is a warm, glowing gold color. Many who buy mint state gold will realize that a typical PCGS or NGC graded MS63 coin can be, how can I put this, slightly ratty. Obviously, there can also be found really nice coins in this grade, too, so please understand that I am not slamming all MS63 double eagles. This past week was the annual GSNA show and although I could only spend Thursday at the show, I still planned on going to CAC for some clients in the morning before the show.

During the show I allowed a longtime collector friend to look at this coin. He has been a collector of gold, both certified and raw, US and foreign, for perhaps a dozen years and his collection has gained considerable value in the last decade. The only reason I had the coin with me was because of my previously scheduled stop at CAC and I thought I would submit the coin with the pieces that belonged to other folks. My friend kept staring at the coin and told me over and over that this coin is nicer than many of his MS65 graded pieces. This might be true, or it might that he thought it was a very nice MS63 and got carried away a bit in his analysis of not only this coin, but also of the coins in his collection. Regardless, the coin has a very nice look for an MS63, which made me take an image of it to share with the people on the boards.

So, here it is; it’s not ultra high grade, it’s not a key or even better date and it isn’t toned in any wild manner. It’s just a nice coin that looks cool. I’ve included two sets of images because I changed my lighting set up and thought the two set ups produced different enough looks to justify sharing both. There are also two links to see the coin at a larger size.

TBRO1904P63A.jpg

TBRO1904P63B.jpg

Large obverse image.

Large reverse image.

Has a great color. I can see what you mean. I can't tell you how many 63-65's I have seen that were just plain lousy and not worth 62 money. This one has the look that I like and have only been able to find in a handful of Libs.

It does look nicer than a 63 to me. Great pics and nice write up. As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts and insight!

(thumbs u

That is a nicely toned and mark free MS63, 1904 double eagle. I have owned several nice MS 63 double eagles through the years and this one is very nice. Minimal marks and solid toning.

TomB, do you think that this double eagle would grade 64+ if that reverse dig wasn't there?

Honestly that might be tough for the level of scratches as opposed to just luster grazes on that obverse. It's at least a MS-63, though, as graded; JMHO...

PS: Very nice grab, BTW, holdered at that grade, at just over bullion.

TomB, do you think that this double eagle would grade 64+ if that reverse dig wasn't there?

I think it has the overall look of an MS64 and that without the dig on the reverse it would be an MS64.