• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1807 Draped Bust 50C Heraldic Eagle REV, grade?

21 posts in this topic

I can't tell anything about the surfaces with the lighting on those pics - I'm almost certain they are hiding something, but I can't see what. With that, I am going to float an EF details grade, more concrete grade and value can be determined with better pictures.

It's been pretty harshly cleaned. I don't think you should have paid anywhere near XF money. I'm hoping you paid VF money for it.

Why is the originality in question here? Is it the toning?

My view on this is, if it is a original example, it would be housed in a holder. More times than not, when you see RAW coins from this era, in XF condition(or better), they have been cleaned.

Why is the originality in question here? Is it the toning?

My view on this is, if it is a original example, it would be housed in a holder. More times than not, when you see RAW coins from this era, in XF condition(or better), they have been cleaned.

I would argue that. Many collectors of this era prefer raw coins, and will crack any coin they buy. Just ask James.

The $700 price is a VF-20 price, which seems fair for this piece. I certainly wouldn't have paid any more than that.

I'll post some pictures of an 1806 that I have, that's not quite as nice as the one you have, but is more original. It has some digs on the reverse rim area and I like it. I think I paid $250 for it a couple of years ago. I like it for what it is, but it is damaged after all. And, yours even though nicer than mine would still be considered damaged, just in a different way.

If it has only been dipped and retoned, it may not look too bad in hand. But if its been scrubbed or wizzed then retoned, I would pass. The hairlines would drive me nuts. If this 110A had a thick crust, the neat cracks would be hard to see. The detail is soft, and depending on luster remaining, I would make this out to be at least a 40. If the cleaning is harsh, the 700 is ok, but I wouldnt buy it.

I'd have to see this one in person to pass judgment on it. The surfaces are not original, but they are seldom original on any of these coins. If it’s just been dipped and has now retoned, $700 is fair for it. If it’s been scrubbed or polished, I’d pass. Many 1806 and 1807 Draped Bust half dollars were softly struck and lack for detail. Therefore it’s hard grade these coins without seeing the surfaces in person.

Here’s an 1806 from my collection. Love it because of the luster, hate it because it was probably dipped long ago I’ve liked it since I bought it in 1975. It’s now in an NCG AU-58 holder. It has not changed a bit in the last 35 years.

1806HalfDolO.jpg

1806HalfDolR.jpg

I'd have to see this one in person to pass judgment on it. The surfaces are not original, but they are seldom original on any of these coins. If it’s just been dipped and has now retoned, $700 is fair for it. If it’s been scrubbed or polished, I’d pass. Many 1806 and 1807 Draped Bust half dollars were softly struck and lack for detail. Therefore it’s hard grade these coins without seeing the surfaces in person.

Here’s an 1806 from my collection. Love it because of the luster, hate it because it was probably dipped long ago I’ve liked it since I bought it in 1975. It’s now in an NCG AU-58 holder. It has not changed a bit in the last 35 years.

1806HalfDolO.jpg

1806HalfDolR.jpg

how did that get NGC au-58 if it was dipped? so coins being dipped doesnt matteR?

how did that get NGC au-58 if it was dipped? so coins being dipped doesnt matteR?

For the AU-58 grade, dipped is not a problem. In fact I'd say it doesn't matter up to MS-63 if the coin has been dipped properly. Even an MS or PR-64 silver coin can be dipped. When you get to MS or PR-65 or above, it is a problem.

Some of the purists among you need to get this into your head about grading. Dipping IS NOT the same as cleaning. Cleaning involves the total removal of the original surface of a coin and can be viewed as damage. While dipping does involve the removal of some medal, it is a very minor removal of metal and if done properly on the RIGHT COINS does little or nothing to impair luster.

If your standards dictate that you don’t want to buy dipped coins, that is certainly within your right. But if you are looking to have dipped coins end up in “genuine” holders, you will remove a lot of collectables from the market and drive up prices for what is left for no good reason. Many silver coins have been dipped because they were so ugly in their original state that they were unsaleable. Dipping might not be “restoration” as some have called it, but from an aesthetic point of view it has been something that has improved the appearance of many pieces.

$700 sounds like a fair price for the OPs coin. Here's my 1807. It's a 35 and cost me a $1,000. PCGS/CAC.

DBH-O.jpgDBH-R.jpg

Here are the pics of my 1806 that I promised. It's been a while since I looked at it, and yours is much, much nicer. Yours does have a lot of meat on it, just wish they hadn't polished it!

_MG_6355_1.jpg_MG_6356_1.jpg

It is a little bright for my taste, but the detail and die cracks are compelling! Sometimes one has to make a choice within one's budget as to degree of wear vs originality. It's an individual call. To me,it looks like it was dipped and then retoned in a paper envelope. I think it's attractive and I might have bought it a few years ago, if I had the chance, but my taste has changed. I just have this example, which looks like it was stored in the dirty clothes hamper:

1807halfobv.jpg

1807halfrev.jpg